Diy tank build advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Mozzie, 3 Feb 2016.

1. Mozzie

Mozzie

Hello everyone. I'm new to this whole thing and am really interested in starting up my own marine tank. Here's the thing...I know nothing about what I'm getting myself into (kinda like Zuma being president). I'm thinking about building my own tank as I'm a hands on kinda guy and I think it will suit my pocket, only thing I will need to buy is glass and pumps etc. I'm thinking about building my tank out of 10mm glass, 1400L x 600w x 750 h. Will 10mm glass stand up to the forces? Will I need to brace the tank? Any advice on the above will be much appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

masahello

This is an addiction with irreversible effects:tt2:. There is quite a few threads regarding diy builds on the forum, maybe you can pick up a few tips and info. 10mm glass is strong enough for that size tank. As for bracing it all depends on what type of glass you are going to use. Starfire/strengthened glass doesn't require bracing where normal glass does. Plenty of advice on this forum so don't be afraid to ask.

tekkengal likes this.
  4. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, well at this point glass was glass until your reply. I'll phone the supplier tomorrow to confirm what type it was....R2250 for a sheet 3660x 2150 (I may be wrong on the width size) I do know that it was not shatter proof glass (sorry for better lack of words) as I may want to drill the glass when I decide the filtration system etc etc.
    Would 10mm only require bracing on the top, or would I have to brace the bottom aswell? How would you go about bracing the bottom?

5. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

It will always be stronger to brace top and bottom. The type of bracing I am referring to is called euro bracing (check it on google). Normal glass you can drill but tempered glass you can't.

6. Mozzie

Mozzie Thread Starter

:thumbup1:

Recent Posts