DIY T5 reflectors

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by brentv, 23 May 2011.

1. brentv

brentv

I've got some 50mm pvc pipe spliced down the middle.
    Reckon this is a good reflector, compared to an aliminium silver reflector
    I know people haven't different opinions on reflecting against white!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Nothing wrong with using white pvc pipes for reflectors, I believe that using white reflectors are better as with salt creep it doesn't affect the white surface as much as the chromed, stainless or polarbaric reflector surfaces. Great idea Rob & looking good:thumbup:

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

how did u get it cut as i was thinking of doing the same?

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

looks awesome.

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I did the same for my T5s. Used the dremel to cut it down the middle. The 70mm pipe (normal downpipe) works great.

7. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Builder Trade did it for me for free! Any company with a carpentry section should be able to do this;)

8. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Haa haa... Wrong name MistaPink, uuummm Orange, it's Brent not Rob :lol::lol::lol:

9. Evo R

Evo R

Do you guys rekcon that white reflectors will have the same reflecting capacity as "chrome" ones??

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

awesome thanks

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

would a normal circular saw work? You know like the one to cut wood :whistling:

12. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Tremayn, I would think you would have to be hellova careful, with the pipe being narrow and round it might roll around a bit... bye, bye finger:eek:

13. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Evo, this is my main question for this thread, as there are people that say yes, and others that prefer the 'chrome' type.
    Would like to know from the lighting fundi's what is best??:blush:

14. Elrond

Elrond

If you cover the inside of the pipe with aluminium tape (cheap from any DIY store), you'd have a pretty decent reflector.

15. Afsal

Afsal

agreed , table saw is safer .......

16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

great idea! i might give this a bash

17. Lycan

Lycan

Hi Brent
    where did you source the T5 waterproof endcaps?
    been trying to get some for some time now...

18. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

I got mine from Leigh at Reef Inmates, I think he's a sponsor on this forum??:blush:

19. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hey Elrond, before we do this let's check the white reflection isn't a better option??? :blush:

20. Meneer

Meneer

I just replaced my white with DIY aluminium..... I am now thinking of Epoxy-coating or spraying them white.....

21. Meneer

Meneer

Question - Which reflects more light,a white polished surface or a silver mirrored surface?

In most cases, they would reflect very similar amounts. The biggest difference is where they reflect it. A shiny mirror reflects almost all of the light in the same direction. This makes a clear image in the mirror. A white polished surface reflects the light in all directions. This why walls in reading rooms are often painted white. The light from a few bulbs reflects everywhere. I do not know that there is a definite rule. It would depend on the material and possibly on the color light used. A good test is sunlight. Take two shiny white plates. Cover the top of one with aluminum foil, shiny side out. Be sure the foil is very smooth and there is not any air between the plate and the foil. Put a paper grocery bag or large piece of cardboard on the ground in the sunlight on a hot day when the sun is very bright. Place both plates on the bag. After fifteen minutes, take the foil off. See which plate is hottest. The hottest plate absorbed the most light. The coolest plate reflected the most light.

Dr. Ken Mellendorf Physics Instructor Illinois Central College

This is not as straight forward as it sounds on first reading. When light (or other electromagnetic radiation) strikes a FLAT surface it can do one or more of several things:
    1. It can be REFLECTED at angle equal to the angle of incidence (usually measured as the angle from the perpendicular of the flat surface.

2. In can be TRANSMITTED through the surface. In this case the path of the light will be changed depending upon the index of refraction of the substance, (the quantitative amount is determined by a relation called Snell's Law.

3. ALL of the light can be ABSORBED by the substance, in which case the surface will appear BLACK.

4. SOME of the wavelengths of the light can be ABSORBED by the substance. If the incident light is WHITE, that is composed equally of all wavelengths of visible light, the REFLECTED light will appear colored. The color will be the COMPLEMENT of the absorbed wavelengths. That is, WHITE light MINUS the absorbed wavelengths. So if blue light is absorbed, the REFLECTED light will appear yellow; if red light is absorbed, the REFLECTED light will appear green.

5. The light can be REFLECTED and SCATTERED. That is the angle of reflection in different than the angle of incidence. If the surface is rough and randomly irregular, the REFLECTED light will appear white.

6. If the surface is irregular, but irregular in a regular way, such as a series or closely spaced scratch marks, the light will be DIFFRACTED, and the surface is called a GRATING. Then the reflected light will be the color of the rainbow. And incident white light will be decomposed into its various contributing wavelengths. All of these six things are going on at the same time to a greater or lesser extent, so it is difficult to say with confidence whether a surface that is white and polished, or is a mirror, whether the amount of total energy reflected is greater or less for one or the other.

Vince Calder

Recent Posts