Diy Supplements

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Charl_Stanhope, 28 Jan 2014.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

So DIY supplements are getting more and more popular and I know of quite a few guys currently dosing DIY.
    There are articles around and lots to read up on the interent and I know of Randy's recipes and the reef chemistry calculator etc.
    But I want to find out from people who are using DIY supplements already.

How do you mix your Supplements?
    How many grams per how many litres of RO water?
    How do you dose?
    How does it affect your water parameters?
    Do you find it cheaper or more expensive to maintain your parameters?
    How do you store it ?

The supplements I have :

Calcium Chloride Flakes
    Sodium Bicarbonate
    Magnesium Chloride

I know by how much my parameters drop each day but Whats the easiest way to work out how much to dose?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 3dd

3dd

4. 4age

4age

I took a conservative guess based on the parameters before adding my doser and then monitored it over few weeks..just mixed about 10 tea spoons of each in 2litres ro water and doser doses a few mil every 2hrs..looks like I guessed well coz it been stable since and corals seem OK

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

6. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

hi charl can I ask where you managed to get the supplements from and what would the cost be for each pf the 3 supplements needed

7. Henkie

Henkie

I am going to start with my diy supplements this week.

For alk I am using bicarbonate of soda and for calcium calcium chloride flakes.

I am going to use 500g of each for 5L of RO water. @JS also uses it in this ratio and he is having great results... (You can go and have a look at his tank thread which he update for a change :lol:)

I mixed the two solutions separately in a tub. I added a powerhead and heater(to the bicarvb) just so that everything dissolves.

I will be dosing manually for now, hopefully I save enough cash for a doser during the middle of the year.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

Thanks for the input so far guys. What do you select for Calcium Chloride Flakes on the Reef Chemistry Calculator.

Calcium Chloride Dihydrate (Dows flake) ?

What do you choose for Magnesium Chloride on the calculator?
    Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate or Magnesium Chloride Anhydrous ?

I have absolutely no clue what the difference between these things are.

Want to mix each individually and dose separately.

9. Charl_Stanhope

I purchased it from a group buy. I think we got it from protea Chemicals and I think iot cost about R200 for 2kgs of each. We were about 8 guys. Ill try find the thread and post a link here.

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Chemicals are working out considerably cheaper for me
    Took a while to sort out exact dosing, a lot of adding then testing, adding more...test...add more..test...panic..etc
    One thing I did notice was the calcium flakes are a lot less dense than the commercial brands, so it seems like you adding a lot more than necessary.

Holding thumbs that the next group buy includes some other things, maybe add strontium and phosphate remover next time

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

In the calculator use calcium chloride dehydrate and magnesium hexahydrate
    Here are some values for you for the following products

1gr of calcium chloride in 1L of water will raise calcium by 273ppm so in 100L it will be 2,73ppm
    1gr of magnesium chloride in 1L of water will raise magnesium by 120ppm so in 100L it will be 1,2ppm
    1gr of baked baking soda in 1L of water will raise alkalinity by 52,85dkh so in 100L it will be 0,5285dkh.

Gummi Bear and Charl_Stanhope like this.
  12. Charl_Stanhope

I think thats the only way. Dose...Test..Dose...Test and then some more testing until you know how much to dose. Im also keen on a group buy for Strontium, Phos remover etc.

Thank you. This is very helpful. Have some rep:thumbup::thumbup:

13. VicZA

VicZA

Are these products the readily available ones that we can buy over the counter from various shops or do we have to be careful of what we are getting and from where ?

14. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Any ideas who stock it and what to look out for.

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Baking soda you can get from the grocery store as well as magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts). People use the Epsom salts to mix in with the magnesium chloride at a ratio of 5:3 (chloride : sulphate)

You can only get the magnesium chloride and calcium chloride from the big chemical suppliers in 25Kg bags. They can also supply you with sodium bicarb (baking soda) and magnesium sulphate if you want which works out cheaper than the grocery store.

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

is it advisable to bake the bicarbonate of soda first ... or does it only depend on how does one want it to affect the waters PH?

17. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

Guys, while we are on this subject. I am considering buying a 25kg bag of active carbon from Protea Chem. If we split it out, it will work out too about R50 per KG.

Anyone interested?

18. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you dose via a doser it does not really matter since the small amount it will dose throughout the day would have a very minimal effect on the PH. On manual dosing say twice per day you would take the PH effect into account and bake or not bake depending on what you want.

19. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

I baked mine jut to be safe

20. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i don't think its about safety... dosing carbonates to increase the alkalinity will always afect the water PH.. the question whether you want it drop or go higher... i would like to understand how this works better

21. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

depending on how much you are dosing at one time if you dose you baking soda to get you alkalinity up .025 it will raise you ph more than what it will raise it if you raise you alkalinity 0.10 so all just depends on how much you are dosing at a time.. much better to spread you doses over the day so you are adding less amounts in one go or you muat dpes in the evening when you lights go off and whem you ph naturally goes down to tackle the dropping nightly ph drop

Recent Posts