DIY Supplements - What to get?

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by highlander, 28 Aug 2008.

1. highlander

highlander

Hi All,

I've been reading quite a bit on the forums and other articles as I want to start making my own supplements for my tank. So far this is what I've got up to:

1. Calcium = Alpha-chem slaked lime (Calcium Hydroxide);
    OR else (CaCl) - Where can I get this?

2. Alkalinity = Bicarbonate Soda - why is this necessary if ur dosing slaked lime since that is high in PH?

3. Strontium = Where to get?

4. Iodine = Alphachem Iodine

5. Magnesium = Epsom Salts (MgSO4)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Dude i dont mean to be a stick in the mud but long term using simple chemicals for Calcium and alkalinity you will have an ionic imbalance. For magnesium ie epsom salts alone will result in too much sulphates as opposed to other ions and the chemistry will be skewed no matter how much/many water changes are done.

4. highlander

highlander Thread Starter

but other people dose like that and have no problems? is there somethng i am missing?

5. JB

JB Reeferboy

i guess to boost certain parameters to recommended measurments its ok to use ,then to maintain it u can buy somthing like Seachem adv. calcium for Ca and Mg and Strontium(if u find it let me know :p).
    Baking soda is fine to use afaik.
    Iodine is not a big factor, too much use will cause algae growth.Best to buy a reputable product which will last u a while.

6. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Key words would be `long term`, as problems only surface after using for long periods of time. Alot has been documented mostly on reefcentral.com about imbalances especially concerning using CaCl2 as calcium additive and Bicarb as buffer alone, very difficuilt to rectify other than huge water changes once established.

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Robin, we need some direction from you, on how to make sure these imbalances don't happen :)

8. highlander

bump - any other opinions?

9. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Pretty simple, use a well researched local supplement manufactured by a biochemist;)

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

only add if you have to. Alot of chemicals (eg strontium) are required in trace amounts anyway and probably occur in high enough conc in the salt you buy. As Midasblenny pointed out, by adding too much you going to screw up ionic balance - eg adding MgSO4 will give you desired Mg, but also increase harmful SO4 levels.
    Is there anything wrong with your tank that you need additives?

11. highlander

nothing 'wrong' with the tank, but just like everyone else i would like to add supplement to improve growth of corals.... i understand that magnesium, strontium and iodine may not be necessary in frequent amounts but im sure calcium is required quite often... also based on wat ive read on forums basically every1 is dosing something and promote the use of these things as they say their aquarium & corals have improved...

12. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Agreed that those elements are necessary but the most important IMO is kH Buffer to keep the alkalinity stable.

13. reeman

reeman

Hi Guys.

1 Question if you use bicarb for ALK how much should be used at a time?

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed, if one wants to dose chemicals then one should add them in the most balanced ratios possible, whilst still keeping the "system" affordable. Having said that, it IS possible (IME) to supplement DIY calcium and alkalinity in a fairly balanced ratio - have you read these threads:

Chemical equivalents - Hennie's Corner

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Recent Posts