DIY Suplements

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by BarryRoux, 5 Feb 2016.

1. BarryRoux

BarryRoux

Hi it come to that time that I need to refill my supplements .
    I was wondering if there are some members that could assist me in term of what supplements I can find at Dis-chem also how to dose/use. I would like to just combine an list for future use as well

I know there are some post on Calcium magnesium but I'm looking for direction for Iodine and any others please

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Only things worth getting from dischem are calcium hyrdroxide (kalk) and iodine. I add the kalk to my topup water, it doesnt have high solubility in water so only add about a teaspoon per 2 litres.
    I dose iodine tincture (the brown stuff in the small bottle) at a few drops twice a week.
    For other chemicals like clacium and magnesium youll have to go to somewhere like Protea Chemicals and buy in bulk or join a group buy.

4. BarryRoux

BarryRoux Thread Starter

Thank you what size system do you run or is there a way to calculate the Iodine

5. 459b

System is about 450 litres.
    You should test whatever you dose, but seeing as iodine kits are known to be difficult to read and unreliable, i use my pulsing xenia as an indicator. If they stop pulsing i dose a bit more.

6. BarryRoux

BarryRoux Thread Starter

i might sound stupid but I haven't been able to keep Xenia's they last a week and then start deteriorating like something is eating them could this be the Low Iodine? as I have no fish that could nip them

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Xenia is one of those mysterious corals that will either thrive or die, lol. I've got it in my tank and it is spreading up the glass and growing very well, yet I've never added a drop of iodine since I started the tank.:confused1:

459b likes this.
  8. 459b

My xenia sulk at times. They stop pulsing and sulk. Add iodine and thhey back to normal in a matter of minutes. They are odd

Recent Posts