Diy Sump

Reaction score
hi guys thought i would start a new thread,
does anyone have any diy ideas to help me
out, using maybe nontoxic plastic containers instead of glass and acrylics
reason is that it would be easier to cut glue and work with,
thanx guyz... :)

If you bought your own acryllic and made the sump yourself would that not save some money?
Failing that, what about a plastic water butt, the ones that are used for houses? pivk them up from a plumbing centre? be a good start for a sump.

thanx guyz

i have tried using glass as i cut glass and glued them up, and in the process i have hurt myself many times over, so i called a couple glass companies and they charging me too much , R50 to cut a sheet of glass using my own glass, unless i just go buy another fish tank and slip dividers in there, yip id rather go with that, ok guys could you give me some tips on what should go in there, i have a skimmer as well

First, how much room do you have for the sump? is it going directly under the tank or can it go somewhere (like garage or similar) where space isn't a factor?
Second, you need room for the skimmer, return pump, do you intend on having a DSB (deep sand bed) what other equipment can you envisage using in the future?

I have never used silicone or worked with glass before, but it was really easy ... and my sump is working just fine!!

My suggestion is buy a standard 3ft tank from your LFS (assuming this is appropriate for your size system)..... often they have old tanks that are scratched you may pick up for a bargin..... then go to any building place/hardware store and order the glass precut... (in your measurments be sure to allow for space for the silicone).....

the physical siliconing in of the glass is deceptively easy if you read up a little on these forums beforehand....

hi guys

i have about 2ft to about 2.5ft space at the bottom of my cabinet, i do intend keeping a dsb with argagonite, does the dsb require any persific light in order to have the bacteria or chattoe to grow? ( please mind the spelling;) )

Occelaris - the DSB itself does not require lighting, but the chaetomorpha does. We mostly use "standard" energy saver light-bulbs. Some people go so far as to put T5's over the sump for the chaeto to grow, or even metal halides. But, this is not really that necessary. Of course - the more light - the faster the chaeto will grow.

OCELLARIS, i have a friend with a 500L Tank who runs his sump in a plastic container, its a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) setup, he hassant had any problems.

thanx jacquesb - so having just a DSB alone is not benificial as the DSB having a chaetomorpha ?

hi there storm

thanx for the reply,would your friend be able to give me the diy specs of it or even if he could tell me the type of container he used, you know the marine non toxic material, it would help me alot, im also going to run a FOWLR setup.... thanx

Ocellaris, how big is your display tank?

if you have a 2 ft space and want to run a DSB, an option to consider would be plumbing in the skimmer i.e. having it external to the sump..... rather than having it sit in the sump and take up room... I have seen this done successfully on a large system...

hi there storm

thanx for the reply,would your friend be able to give me the diy specs of it or even if he could tell me the type of container he used, you know the marine non toxic material, it would help me alot, im also going to run a FOWLR setup.... thanx

OCELLARIS he (Like the rest of my reefing clan...) do not frequent online forums, or the the internet for that matter. Ile try find out from him though. But its just a standard, rectangular plastic container with a lid, his sump is higher then the tank. So he has a pump from the tank, pumping water into it, and 2 holes cut out the plastic with pipes leeding back into the tank. His compartments are subdivided with plastic/perspex sheets. All and all i think it cost him R100 max to setup (without pumps). His tanks been going +/- 8 months.

thanx jacquesb - so having just a DSB alone is not benificial as the DSB having a chaetomorpha ?

Hi Occelaris - the DSB is (according to me) the main filtration method, the chaetomorpha algae helps remove / scrub the nitrates/phosphates from the water as well.

You can have one or the other, but it is just much more beneficial having both.

Ok Sounds Good Storm
Ill Wait For Some Feed Back From Your Friend But Its Ok If You Cant
Get A Hold Of Him..... Thanx

hi jacquesb

i think i would go with both,
can i have both argagonite and playsand together i layers for the DSB?

Back
Top Bottom