diy skylight

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Tla, 14 Jan 2013.

1. Tla

Tla

I'v been looking into making a skylight over my tank and would like to know from the guys who have done it like @vatso and @Adee or whoever has knowledge of this.

1. do i only need the natural light or will i need lighting still?

2. Has anyone figured out how to filter the rays to get it more blue without blocking useful rays out

3. what else do i need other then perspex and reflective material? will i need any kind of shade cloth or anything or do i just let the sun do it's thing?

4. a few of you have had the skylights in for a while now so after all this time is it still the best way to go or is there any big disadvantages that you've had?

hope to get some good advice, thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

@vatso might have

do you want to see your tank at night?

4. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

night time viewing isn't a big issue because on my current tank i just use blue led's in the night and the lights go off in summer before the sun is down anyway.

5. butcherman

then you can use your current lights in conjunction with the sun

6. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

I'm also thinking of doing this.

As far as I can tell depending on how much light you're getting you dont need to suppliment with any lighting, night time viewing you can just run a stock standard LED, like the one you would have in your house for normal lighting. I might be wrong on this one though.

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

You might want to talk to @Bob the (reef) builder as well, he also has a great skylight for his tank.

As for the "blue" effect, i know that @Adee has a blue shade net over his roof...

8. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

wont the shade netting cancel out a lot of the light?

9. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

also what is the best material to reflect down the skylight?

10. butcherman

there is a blue film you can get that might work.

11. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

It will, but you can just get a 10-15% shade net...
    Especially handy when the corals still need to acclimate to the sunlight as it will be MUCH brighter than any light unit...

12. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Tagging, with the cost of lighting I'm definitely curious about this.

13. Clowning

Clowning

Tagging as I am planing to build a fish room :yeahdude:but looking at the most cost effective way to do so...

14. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

It's very easy to put in a skylight and the light is fantastic for your corals.

Just need to blue it up a bit.

If you go to the LEE filters website you can find a range of filters used for stage lighting etc that will change the kelvin rating up to a bluer light.

I use blue halides with my big sylight to correct to correct the colour but I also plan to use their CT blue in places to improve to colour.

Dichroic filters would be even better, they reflect all light except what you need to go through but as far as I've found you only get these in small sizes ie for cameras etc.

I used the aluminium reflective insulative material in my light chimney.

15. vatso

vatso

I don't need any extra light for my tank my skylight works perfectly - I use 2 MH just for viewing at night.

I am not sure if all the blue film is really needed I enjoy seeing my tank in natural light there are some colours you can only see in that light and then when night comes I enjoy the other look my tank has

one day I might still do LED's for colour

16. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

thanks alot guys, just the info i need. that aluminium reflective insulative material, where can i get something like that? also that light filter stuff, is there any local companys who would stock something similar? and what perspex must i use? i have clear perspex but not sure if it's the right stuf.

17. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Google the reflective stuff , it's easy to get. Roofing insulation.

The perspex is sunbed acrylic from Maizey plastics. It is UV stabilized but still allows UV through for the corals.

For the light filters find you local Lee filter supplier

Last edited: 15 Jan 2013
  18. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Hmm, I have been pondering this for a while last night and going to ask the question here.

MY DT is 3.2mLx1mWx1mD and is positioned in a room that has a flat roof covered with some type of polycarb already externally. Internal ceiling view is a normal interior ceiling.

My Questions are as follows:
    1) What size "sun portal" would I need to make to effectively light up the tank? Keep in mind sun rising and setting angles changes the amount of light entering the DT.
    2) Would need reflectors? Im thinking I possibly would need reflective material to frame the "skylight" between the remaining ceiling boards up to the new Perspex sunbed acrylic.
    3) how do you position your lights used for evening viewing so as not to block out the needed sunlight?

19. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Put them on the sides shining in.

Have a good look at where the sun comes up and goes down and realize that this changes a lot in winter. It will sit at 45 degrees or so at mid winter.

I have a reflective movable mirror to take this into account.

20. Mc

Mc

I worked in the skylight industry for a few years building and installing the things.

My opinion the best way is to get one installed by a professional or by an already build one and then install it yourself. The problem is they use very specialized aluminium profile to build them and diy skylights tend to leak.

You get two kinds of skylight the ones that you cut the ceiling out and build a new ceiling board around or the ones that look like a light fitting underneath and use a reflective tube to bring the light down.

I don't think the skytubes with the relective tubing would provide enough light and you would need something like a 2.5*1m skylight at least.

I would think it would be better to build around the hole in the ceiling with ceiling boards and then just stick the reflectors to that.

21. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

i was thinking of just taking out roof tiles and putting in perspex, then cutting a whole in the ceiling and doing the same, then running reflective material in a square from the roof to the ceiling, then making a reflector box over the tank. is this right or is there a certain way the reflectors must be? il also use rubbers and water proofing roof paint

Recent Posts