DIY skimmer

Reaction score
Hi,
This thread is for all those people like myself that enjoy DIY stuff.
This is what I have been busy with for the last couple of months
1494829842fba0c5.jpg

Reaction score
The specs are as follows
Total height: 700mm
Reaction chamber height: 495mm
Reaction diameter: 160mm
Inlet/outlet: 32mm
cigarette box for size comparision
149482984cb9f4cc.jpg

Reaction score
This is the only piece of the skimmer that I did not make, I was lucky enough to have my brother in Australia to sent it to me.As you can see it is a beckett foam nozzle and came complete in this form
1494829858c7b4d2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
These last 2 pictures are of the collection cup. One from the side and one from the top.
1494829862aae0c7.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,
To who ever re-arranged my pics thanks a lot, this is much better. I am still trying to get the hang of posting pics.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Shane - this is absolutely mind blowingly AWESOME!

Please let us know what pump/s you are going to use with this skimmer, and also let us know whether you have actually put this baby into working already?

If it is skimming - show some skimmate pics?

Reaction score
Hi jacqueb,
Thanks for the compliment. No the skimmer is not in use but I will be posting pics as soon as it is.I am planning on using a RIO hyperflow 26 or 32 pump.
Cheers

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hi jacqueb,
Thanks for the compliment. No the skimmer is not in use but I will be posting pics as soon as it is.I am planning on using a RIO hyperflow 26 or 32 pump.
Cheers
doesnt the Rio pumps have standard impellors?why not go for something with a needle wheel impellor

Reaction score
Hi Mekaeel,
This is a beckett foaming head attached to the input of the skimmer it does not need a needle wheel pump, but rather a large pump.
Cheers

Reaction score
Check out the third picture that is the beckett foaming head inside a closed housing. The attachment on the side is for a needle valve to control air flow into the foaming head housing.
Cheers

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Awesome build man, those Beckett Injectors are monsters when run with the proper pump, I think this skimmer is really going to perform. Hurry up and get it wet already. :D

Reaction score
Great stuff, shane! Did you use clear PVC sheet for the bottom plank and the bottom of the skimmer cup? If so, where did you get it?

Reaction score
I think you might need to lengthen the standpipe. Of the ones I've seen like this the standpipe normally rises to about the same level as the neck.

My 2c.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for the great words. To answer a few question, I have used clear perspex for all the bases(bottom of the skimmer,bottom of the cup etc)The riser from the outlet valve is not glued yet so there is still time to change this.I only concern is that in my haste to assembly this monster I have glued the outlet valve a little to low down. What I mean is that the valve will be under the water in my first compartment.I think version 2 I might try building the same monster but use clear perspex for the entire skimmer.
Cheers

459b

Reaction score
great build!!

how did you stick the outlet onto the body? i heard it was rather difficult to glue a pipe into a round hole drilled into another pipe. A PVC shop told me i need t oplastic weld such joints, but it doesnt look like youve done this (unless your welds are incredibly neat).