DIY Protien Skimmer

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Zenith, 15 Jul 2009.

1. Zenith

Zenith

DIY Protien Skimmer Plan

Hi to all
    I need some fresh perspective and some advice/comments on my protein skimmer I am planning on building. As you all know acrylic tubing is very expenive and I am planning on building a cost effective protein skimmer that is also efficient, easy maintenance, full control and low hastles when there is a power outage.
    Basicaly the water from my tank will be running directly into the skimmer via a 50mm pipe and also out to the sump with a 50mm pipe. A power head connected pulling water from the reaction chamber, airates it with a ventury valve and pumps it back into the bottom chamber with a 45deg angle giving the water a circulating motion. I will also ad a unit here with 4 wooden airstones to boost the bubbles if needed.
    There is 3 valves by the inlet and outlet. The bypass valve is there so I can close the inlet and outlet valves and then remove the skimmer from the system if needed and not affect the operation of the system. And the inlet and outlet valves also act as control valves for controlling water levels in the skimmer.
    The picture is self explanatory.
    Please give some input
    Thanks

Picture attached as word doc

Attached Files:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Don't forget that the lime air diffusers only last for a max of 3 months. At R30 a pop, this can negate any diy savings over the long run. I don't see a picture attached.

4. Zenith

Zenith Thread Starter

hi
    the pic is attached in the word document

5. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Couple of things need attention. It looks as if the inlet from tank and the recirc are fighting each other. Maybe have the recirc inlet higher up. Do they have to be enclosed in a compartment? What type of flow do you have from your overflow? The dimensions are quite large. I think you could make it smaller,thereby increasing turbulance in the body of the skimmer and therefore increasing bubble/water contact time.

Lets hear from the skimmer experts out there. By the way, welcome to MASA dude.:)

6. Zenith

Zenith Thread Starter

Thanks

My flowrate is about 600- 800L ph, My inlet from the tank and the recirc will be flowing in the same direction to form the spinning action (both will be facing left or right).
    My total system volume is aprox 1000l and i will be adding a separate refeg to boost my water to about 1500l and will also replace my return pump for a higer volume pump. The idea is "go big or go home". If it skimm to much i can just switch off the recirc pump from time to time without affecting the wateflow.

7. Zenith

Zenith Thread Starter

Hi

What is your idea on a turf algae scrubber filter.
    What algae and how to start it, what is all needed.

Thanks

8. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Your water intake will not be enough. Why not simpify the whole thing and just get an OR 2500 pump(is there such a pump?) with a needle wheel conversion. Then you can do away with the recirculation. That way you can make it in-sump, which will be better should you get leaks around your inspection window.
    Algae scrubbers are the best thing since beer, but you should get the skimmer going first, so that you can achieve stability in your tank first.

9. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

Im thinking along the lines of a 5l water bottle, the types they have in offices for drinking water, to replace the acryllic tube part. If you buy one and cut the top in a certain way, buy a second one and cut the top off in such away that its larger than the frist then maybe one could glue the top from the 2nd bottle onto the 1st one because there is enough of a lip, sort of thing.

Cutting the tops off makes it easy to do your plastic fittings and stuff on the inside with nice seals. The neck of the bottle forms the neck of the skimmer. Lol, could use the bottom of a 2l plastic bottle as a collection cup if you cut a hole big enough for the 5l bottle cap.

I went and had a look at a skimmer today SumpBuddy60
    This is a square one, i can get it for around about 120 Kuwaiti Dinar = 3,460.75 South African Rand or i could try DIY it.

10. Zenith

Zenith Thread Starter

hi all
    found a pice of 315mm water pipe.......! way bigger than i thought.
    has lot of potential as other equipment..
    back to the drawing board then
    Mudshark the pump you mentiond is it to replace the recirc unit ?

11. Broder

Broder Mudshark

No, I was suggesting not recirculating, but just having the one inlet pump as your 800 l/hr inlet is to little.
    Guys, I'm not a skimmer expert so feel free to add any comments especially regarding water intake volume.
    I've done diy skimmer projects before and always wished that I'd just gone out and bought the bloody thing in the end. They always take so long to tweak to get even average performance. On the other hand I know that a lot of guys have had good success.

12. Blackrat

Blackrat

how big is your tank ? thats one mean mother skimmer

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Dimensions don't mean much. It's air volume, bubble size and contact time in the water that counts.

14. Zenith

Zenith Thread Starter

volume is about 1000 l but will be upgrading mabe to 2000 l in the near future

15. Zenith

Zenith Thread Starter

The flow rate is around 1000l to 1100lph, it is quite slow so contact time will be quite long.
    Bubble size not sure yet

16. Zenith

Zenith Thread Starter

you know what they say "go big or go home" The skimmer will give me probably 10 to 50l more volume depending on how tall i am gona build little frankensteins monster.

17. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Awesome always nice to hear that someone is doing a DIY...wish you the best with the build...just keep us posted about your progress...

Recent Posts