DIY phosphate removal

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Stressed Eric, 7 Oct 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hi Hennie, looking at the costs of phosphate removal media I'm considering using alternatives. So far I've come across ferric chloride, aliminium oxide or lanthanum chloride. Do you have any experience in using any of these compounds in aquaria?

Thanks, Mark :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I've just chucked some lanthanum in my tank. I use it for phosphate removal. It has a tendency to cloud your water slightly which is normal, it can drop your KH so keep an eye on it. I use half a teaspoon for a 700 litre tank which is safe. Get your skimmer to skim a bit wetter for twelve hours to remove the phosphates. I'm not to sure on ferric chloride as most removers are ferric oxide in granular form of aluminium oxide. Kent makes on that looks like white granules which can be regenerated a few times although the effectiveness of the remover is reduced each time. Brightwell has a new one whihc can be regenerated although I haven't had too much experience with this once.

4. Falcon

Falcon

yeah i'm also using lanthanum chloride,i dose a tsp every two weeks into my 680lt tank and yes it does affect kh depending on how much phos you have available.

ferric oxide hydroxide(not ferric oxide) would be your best bet as aluminium oxide is known to cause problems with certain corals.

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I can't blame you - this stuff is *VERY* expensive.

I too have given a lot of thought to this subject, and will certainly use an "alternative" in the future. At this stage, though, I have only done some reading-up on the subject, but have not experimented with any DIY methods yet.

From what I've read, the Lantanum Chloride appears to be the cheapest "best" alternative, so if you want to try something this would be the route to take, IMHO. There is quite a lot of info on Reef Central's chemistry forum.

Hennie

6. Falcon

Falcon

check out the additives section of the forum i'm trying to organise a group buy for cheaper GFO-ferric oxide hydroxide.

Recent Posts