diy overflowless sump/tank level controller

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by brettb2020, 24 Feb 2009.

1. brettb2020

brettb2020

so this is my setup. i wanted to add a scrubber in the tanks cabinet but: cant drill the tank as its tempered, cant put an overflow box because of the hood. the hood has a filter inside which only has some carbon in since i got an external filter.

so i decided to syphon off from there and build a control box that monitors the water levels of the tank and the scrubbers sump and control the pumps. in the same breat i decided to add a auto top off unit since its the same circuit:)

[​IMG]

thats the control box, very messy but i dont have space for a bigger box in my cabinet.

this control box uses stainless steel probes to detect the waters presence. the probes have a very small voltage across them (a few milli volts) and since water is slightly conductive, a tiny bit of current flows between the probes which is amplified and switches a relay. the current is a few micro amps so it wont turn your tank into an electrolysis plant:)

[​IMG]

the full setup

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Feb 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Punk

Punk

damn that's some awesome clever DIY you did there dude!!! :peroni:

just wish i understood how it all worked :p

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

From my experience the stainless steel does not last long in a marine tank, and I am not talking about the low grade stuff that guys call stainless steel.

5. brettb2020

brettb2020 Thread Starter

ive heard that to shaun. i got the highest grade quility, 316l grade stainless. il see how it goes. i dont see anything making that rust though. :)

Recent Posts