Diy overflow

Reaction score
Hi guys

Ok, so i bought a 50mm dril bit to drill my tank for a overflow. I have the following questions:

1. Did any of you drilled glass before?
2. What was the drill speed and what did you do to stop the drill from running over the glass?
3. Where is the best place to drill the tank?:)

Hallo, any help?
Never mind, i decided to takle the bull by the horns and start drilling last night. It was a success!!

Hello Vzyla - just remember one thing - you should always get a bulkhead fitting that fits INSIDE the hole you drill. The bulk head fitting's INNER DIAMETER (ID) will be less that the hole size. So, you will need to ensure that the rest of the piping fiits as well.

When you drill, you should drill VERY slowly, and constantly add water to the contact area on the glass where you are drilling.
Some folks use prestik or perhaps putty to form a round "wall" of sorts around the area where they are drilling, that the water does not spill everywhere.

Just drill VERY slowly, without placing pressure on the glass. Hope this helps.

Thanks JacquesB.

I did some practice runs on a seperate piece of glass to get the feeling then went over to the tank.

It worked out great!

Zookeeper - you can get the hole-saw and centre drill-bit (diamond tipped - especially for glass), at Mica in Parklands.

If you were to drill many holes, this would be worth it. As it costs +-R220 for the hole-saw and centre drill bit....

Just out of interest sake Vzyla - did your drill-bit set only contain the hole-saw part (the big round one) or also include the inner centre drill-bit (looks like a standard drill-bit)?

Also - what brand is it?

Only the hole saw part, come to think of it, that might be why it was cheaper! When it comes down to the make, i really dont know. I will go and have a look later on.

Thought some photos might help!
This was while drilling. I stopped frequently to add more water.

DSC_2494.jpg

The hole and the drill bit.

DSC_2495.jpg

It took me about 20 min to do the drilling because of all the stops for water and the fact that i drilled very slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, you saw the marks where it slipped when starting. Thanks for this info as well. Funny thing is after i did the drilling i started looking up and reading about how to do it. This idea of jours is actually a great one!

Well done :thumbup: I don't think I am brave enough to drill holes in a tank. Nice to see it was a success :)

Back
Top Bottom