DIY Marine Mix

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 27 Mar 2015.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Is it possible to create your own reef mix. I stay in Hermanus and its pretty easy to get your hands on all sorts of fresh fish,mussles,clams etc etc etc So I want to know if anyone out there has a good recipe or perhaps an idea whether its good or bad to make your own mix. Let me know. Maybe there are some reefers on masa currently making their own.

Or is it better to just buy? Reason I am asking is that its a mission to get my hands on frozen foods like mysis, krill etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

I have heard of guys mixing their own stuff and then putting it into a ice block mould and then freezing it.

4. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

That was kinda the idea I had. Ive googled it a bit but those guys in the states mix all kinds of weird and insanely expensive stuff in their foods. lol. Do you know of a good simple recipe?

Im also thinking of making a very fine paste for my corals and then another mix thats not as fine, for my fish. my logic tells me its possible. :m85:

6. Charl_Stanhope

7. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Maybe experiment with stuff you can find.
    Mix according to your fishes diet and see how it goes.
    As for coral food, maybe get some phyto and zooplankton?

8. sandersc

sandersc

@Charl_Stanhope

Charl I also make my own frozen food that I then feed inbetween other food. We normally have some of that normal marinara mixes you get in the shop in the freezer. I will then take some pieces from there t, leaving out any mussle I find in there, it is normally the black mussel as well as oysters , that I leave out as well.

I'll let it thawn and with that I will pur some whole shrimp, as is, and some frsh fish.

When I blend them I puth all the tougher foods together and blend them. Then I'll blend all the softer meats as a batch. I'll then put everything together, give it a good mix with the blender and finally I will put some of my favourite vitamin in it as well. You will now see that there are sbigger piece as well as very small stuffin the mix

I do think you can put nori in it as well, but I prefer to give nori seperate, You can actually ad nything nice to the mix that you can find. I think fresh roe, either fish or rock lobster would be nice as well.

I then put it in a plastic container or a zip bag and spread it out thin enough for me to break pieces of when it is frozen and into the frezeer..Sorted

I am sure you can lay your hands on other wonderful things to put in there.

A good idea is to see to it that the food caters for most if not all your livestock need.

Another important thing to mention is, the fact to all the inhabitants from different tanks like the same food, so it may be a good idea to offer the different bits, you want to add to your food, first seperate to your tank and see wherther the fish enjoy it.

Hope this works for you.

Sanders

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Charl_Stanhope

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. I will play around a bit and experiment. I do feed regular frozen and probably 5 or different dry foods. So will not substitute that. I also dose liquid food. Reason behind making my own is because its natural - readily available and might be better for livestock in the long run. Ill post my results here, Will start playing around with different mixes this weekend,

Recent Posts