DIY Marine Frozen Food Mix

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Fishcrazy, 10 Apr 2015.

1. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy’s basic marine food recipe.

The frozen seafood packets I keep in the freezer till I’m ready to make the food. I buy the packets over a period of time. I push the blocks out of the packets into a mixing bowl. The bigger pieces I put in another bowl, because it will need more blending. I leave everything till it is thawed. Keep the packaging!

Here is my list of ingredients and recipe:
    • One packet of Marine Quintet containing Artemia, Rotifers, Squid & chopped cockles.
    • One packet of Cyclops (Zooplankton)
    • One packet of Red Plankton
    • One packet of Lobster eggs
    • One packet of White shrimp. Drain the water before adding.
    • One packet of Brine Shrimp
    • One packet of Ruto Malawi Mix - green.
    • ½ Packet of Bloodworms
    • 1½ Large sheets of Nori (unsalted, unspiced, dried). Keep the Nori for last in the blender
    • ½ Teaspoon of Coral food
    • Large amounts of 2-3 different flake foods.
    • 15 ml of Seachem Aquavitro FUEL
    • 25 ml of Seachem Reef Zooplanklton
    Mix in a blender until it is like thick mud. Put the Nori and flake food last in the blender. Chop the Nori, but don't completely blend into oblivion. If the blend is too thick, add more salt water. Another option is to add concentrated phytoplankton. Then squirt is back in the plastic containers by using a Turkey Baster. Put all the plastic containers on baking pans or trays in the freezer. (I had 7 plastic containers of frozen food)

To use the food: Push the cube out of the container and defrost the food in a cupful of tank water. You can either leave it whole and let the fish tear it apart or do as I do and create a snowstorm out of it by allowing it to defrost and then using a turkey baster to break it all apart in the cup. All of the various particle sizes allow all of your animals (corals and detritivores) to feed.

What I have learned:
    • I did leave the water in from the frozen food, some people say don't add the water from the frozen foods because it tends to make the mix too watery. I think it depends on what frozen foods are used, and the amount of flake food and Nori added.
    • I don't add pellet foods because it tends to make the mix very powdery and wasteful when feeding.
    • I don't add molluscs like clams, mussels, oysters, etc. because a friend told me that they have a larger content of heavy metals. I don't know if this is true, so I just avoided it.
    • This food is incredibly concentrated and should be treated as such. You can pollute the heck out of a tank with it if not feed appropriately. Start slow and with very little and work your way up. Only add what the fish will actually eat.

Please feel free to give comments. I got some ideas from a LFS and some off the internet. Must say it was great fun making the food.

The fish love the food!!!! :lol: :thumbup:

Frozen food packets used.jpg

Frozen food cubes.jpg

Frozen food White Shrimp.jpg

Frozen food blended.jpg

Frozen food Final product.jpg

Last edited: 13 Apr 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mario ArchTech

Mario ArchTech

Sounds realy kwl. I really wana try this recipe. What about adding (garlic, lemon juice, spirulina, fish oil) or does your ingredients replace these? Sorry im not very educated in this field.

4. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

I wasn't sure about the garlic so I left it out. I've also read about the lemon juice for vit C, but then again how much. How. To convert 1ml to 100l back to food...? But yes there is always a next time. That is why I asked for feedback.. Thanks

5. Mario ArchTech

Mario ArchTech

Yes, its quite fascinating and interesting, guess thats why we get so hooked on reef keeping.

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Have you been able to measure the phosphate in/from the food?

You also mentioned "heavy metals". How did you determine this? and what was the difference in heavy metal between using "molluscs" and not including them.?

Last edited: 10 Apr 2015
  7. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@Nemos Janitor - A Friend told me not to use "molluscs", so I just avoided it. In the past I tried to feed small pieces of mussel and the fish didn't really like. So I thought just stay away.
    I haven't measure the phosphate level of the food yet, I'm not 100% sure how to do it. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

Thank you!

Recent Posts