DIY Liverock

Reaction score
hey all,

not if anyone has seen this before but it can save you a lot money

DIY 9

am going to attempt some features soon and will post pics ;)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Good one, i've seen these before and they do work, just be careful in material selection and you should be fine.

Reaction score
I've used portland cement before to create a couple of rocks (not very big rocks).
it is very easy, but you must be sure to cure the LR in fresh water for a month or so. This is due to the fact that the cement's alkanity is very high...

Reaction score
I feel there is no substitute for the real thing, it`ll be more expensive initially but your system will be more robust biologically.

Reaction score
im also thinking of making my own FR, just have to think on ingredients....
so far im thinking of white cement, aragonite, crushed coral... does any1 know what salt to use? and where to get?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I feel there is no substitute for the real thing, it`ll be more expensive initially but your system will be more robust biologically.
Without a doubt correct, but if used in conjunction with good quality liverock, home made can give the scaping that little bit extra.

Reaction score

Some of my home made rocks have the same amout of live on it as the real thing.
So i'm not sure how much more robust the real thing is in comparison with the home made rocks.

Reaction score
i think this would cool for guys building huge tanks, that way they can spend abit on the real thing but also save loads and be creative ;)

Reaction score
Some of my home made rocks have the same amout of live on it as the real thing.
So i'm not sure how much more robust the real thing is in comparison with the home made rocks.
Its more what real live rock contains within it not necessarily what grows on it thats important.

Reaction score
Its more what real live rock contains within it not necessarily what grows on it thats important.
True.

But if you can mix the real stuff with the home made stuff you will get the benefit of both - not so?
Look - i won't use 100% home made rock in my tank, and I do agree that you need the lr as well in your tank.

I've read an artical a time ago about public aquariums that's using cement rocks in their tanks.. I'll try to find it again...

Reaction score
those cement rock will work nice for base rock

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Lighting 1
DUPPIE DIY 57
W Water Parameters and Additives 4
Jaun_marine General Discussions and Advice 2
N Beginner Discussions 12