DIY lighting unit canopy for bowfront tank

Reaction score
Anyone have any good DIY ideas for a bowfront canopy
Also, what kind of material should be used for the canopy?
The tank is at its broadest 800-900 wide..
I dnt want suspended lighting and prefer a closed canopy.

Hi Dude,

I just made a diy hood containing 4 39watt T5 tubes. I bought "marine plywood". it does not absorb water like super wood and once it is sealed then should last a lifetime! I varnished the outside with marine sealer made by alcolin available at builders and any paintshop (they use it on yachts) with a stain added (ebony) so looks black with the grain. I then painted the inside of the hood white (for reflective porposes) enamel. I then sealed the enamel piant with a few coats of clear marine sealer. This must all be left to dry (took me a week) completely before being put on the tank. I made a frame for the T5's (made from aluminium angle iron) that I hidged (door hinges) on the back of the hood. The hindges allow to move the lights away for cleaning the tank without taking the whole hood off! The cover also has a mirror to reflect the light down into the tank. Send me your email address and Ill send some photo's. I do struggle with keeping my temp below 28, and I still need to install fans to move the heat away from the tank that the T5 generate!

Hi Irshaad

Ive got some reflectors for you if you gonna DIY. let me know if you interested

Back
Top Bottom