DIY Led Lighting

Reaction score
Hi All I need some advice . Im busy building an Led unit for my tank. I have 35 led's various colours my tanks outside dimensions are 750mm L x 450mm W I need to make 5 channels for the 5 channel controller. Are there any rules regarding spacing of the led's as well as I have sliders on at the moment with an rather large centre brace?
Do I place the Led's spaced evenly over the brace as well or create 2 sections on either side of the brace. If over the brace its 6mm glass will I lose Light intensity?

This is the aluminium frame to stick the led's on also what do I use to glue the heat sink to the aluminium?

Led Frame.JPG

there are no rules as to how to place your LEDs, it really depends on your scaping of rocks and corals, if you are spreading the corals all over the tank, then spread the LEDs, if you are having them on like 2 mountains, then have the LEDs close to each other in 2 spots,

Looks really nice, is that 2 red or UV led's. I would have gone for more blue but that's personal preference, just check that they don't get too warm on the aluminium bars only.

Looks really nice, is that 2 red or UV led's. I would have gone for more blue but that's personal preference, just check that they don't get too warm on the aluminium bars only.

Thanks Franske they are 2 Magenta Led's I havent tested them on the tank yet but it woll be easy to replace some with blue.

Im Planning to add some fans to the enclosure and used thermal heat paste everywhere

Hi Barry,

If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you and where did you get the necessary parts from ?

the insulation tape with the tank evaporation is not going stay in place for long, make sure you cover the lenses somehow as well cause the terminals(copper) rust away very quickly over tank.

Hi @BarryRoux do you mind me asking what controller you have there, what does it do, and where did you get it from ?

Last edited by a moderator:
the insulation tape with the tank evaporation is not going stay in place for long, make sure you cover the lenses somehow as well cause the terminals(copper) rust away very quickly over tank.

Thanks Zippy Im planning an new tank so Ile have to modify the lights but thanks for the advise I will definately do those changes

My 2c...you need more heat dissipation. I started mine with the same idea as yours and the LEDs kept burning out.

uploadfromtaptalk1435817042371.jpg

This is my final product.

That looks great where did you get the Aluminium from? Is that a piece of Perspex on the bottom ?

I have an pc fan running at the moment and it keeps the channels cool to 23deg but its not an permanent solution.
If i may ask what size is your tank and unit and the height from the water level

Could you Send the info on the control and led pricing.
Power supply.
Where you got it all from.

Could you Send the info on the control and led pricing.
Power supply.
Where you got it all from.

Hi Madmatt

I got the whole setup from Improved living in PE the whole setup cost me R1100(dependant on size) including the controler(Programmable Sunrise/Sunset) excluding the aluminium

It has an 12/24V (10A) Power supply

You can speak to Johan their website is Improved Living PE

they are extremely helpful

Well I am in the fortunate position of having a brother-in-law that works for a steel company that sources the aluminium for me. He cut and bent it to size and shape allowing me to slide a perspex sheet onto two "brackets" to act as a splash shield. This splash shield also reduces corrosion on the solder/contact points. This has been running for about 6 months without any corrosion showing up. The only issue I had last week was that one of the solder points disconnected but that's from the metal expanding and contracting with the winter cold.

This sheet covers a 600x500 area over my 1300x600x700 tank. It is mounted on an aluminium frame (built from mazey's connect-it system) and hangs about 20cm from the water level. I have two heat sinks and one fan and the temperature stays barely above room temp.

In your case I'd go an look at the heatsinks that Mantech (Mantech.co.za) sells. If you run them across your current setup with a fan or two you won't have any issues. You can buy the perspex in sheets from Builders Warehouse and you can use heat resistant silicone to stick the LED's down. None of mine have come off yet - it also helps convecting the heat to the metal to keep things cool.

I run 40x3w LED's and I actually think its too much...my corals seem happier with just 2/3's of them on. I also run more royal blue LEDs than white, but I think switching to a 50/50 split will be better so I might be changing them out soon.

This entire setup cost about R1500.00 if I remember correctly.

I've added a better pic - don't know why the rotation doesn't work properly.

20150702_075454.jpg

Last edited:
Well I am in the fortunate position of having a brother-in-law that works for a steel company that sources the aluminium for me. He cut and bent it to size and shape allowing me to slide a perspex sheet onto two "brackets" to act as a splash shield. This splash shield also reduces corrosion on the solder/contact points. This has been running for about 6 months without any corrosion showing up. The only issue I had last week was that one of the solder points disconnected but that's from the metal expanding and contracting with the winter cold.

This sheet covers a 600x500 area over my 1300x600x700 tank. It is mounted on an aluminium frame (built from mazey's connect-it system) and hangs about 20cm from the water level. I have two heat sinks and one fan and the temperature stays barely above room temp.

In your case I'd go an look at the heatsinks that Mantech (Mantech.co.za) sells. If you run them across your current setup with a fan or two you won't have any issues. You can buy the perspex in sheets from Builders Warehouse and you can use heat resistant silicone to stick the LED's down. None of mine have come off yet - it also helps convecting the heat to the metal to keep things cool.

I run 40x3w LED's and I actually think its too much...my corals seem happier with just 2/3's of them on. I also run more royal blue LEDs than white, but I think switching to a 50/50 split will be better so I might be changing them out soon.

This entire setup cost about R1500.00 if I remember correctly.

Thankyou Im definately going to make some changes on the new setup

Back
Top Bottom