diy led lighting question

Reaction score
Hi guys
I've finaly got a tank and it's up and running.
Nice little 91l 450cube.
The old man and I have an electronics background,so it's a diy led we're going for.
My Q is- will two 4000k cool white LED down lights be enough for my tank.
Want to have soft coral and fish in it.
My tank has just started cycling.

will two 4000k cool white LED down lights be enough for my tank.
That will grow algae like mad....

Excellent option for an algae scrubber.

Look for 10000K to 14000K. 10 will still be to white. Higher to 14 will be more crisp. Combo of 10 and 20 will be better

i have there seen a guy selling 10W Led Actinic Hybrid @RiaanP whats your take on it ? if 3 is been added will the "K" be enough

434337_140319222124_10W_Actinic_3xwhite_6x

10W Led Actinic Hybrid ratio 1:2 (White 7000K : Blue 460nm) for Aquarium
Forward Voltage: 9-12V
Forward Current: 900mA

Last edited by a moderator:
10W Led Actinic Hybrid ratio 1:2 (White 7000K : Blue 460nm) for Aquarium
that can work. Are both channels independent? Can they be controlled separately?

There are even 100W LED available, 5 channel, all individually controllable. The different type of LED units coming out nowadays are amazing. 4 years ago, LED could not work for deeper than 400mm tanks. And they were maximum 1W each. Check were we are today. Another 4 years and I believe T5 and MH will be gone. As soon as they can work out how to get wider color spectrum out of the LED clusters. But for household use, LED already replaced all other light options.

it can be independent channels and Can they be controlled separately

yes LED is taking over and it save on electricity

i have notice there is also 10w LED RGB
just one LEd that changes in many colours you can get them in 20W and 50W

this RGB kit is for R195

434337_140607013331_IMG_1027.jpg

you may check improve living PE they selling and you can check on bidorbuy ,

for the RGB led if you want just go to the china mall buy 10w,or 20w or 50w RGB flood light and then just disassemble it

thats what i done bcz you can use the heatseak from that flood light and if you want you can stick all other led on that same heatseak if you would like

improve living selling R50 per led and u have to use a 12v resistor with them .

Hybrid Aqua Cool White & Royal Blue.JPG

hi nabzo,must you have a resister with the 10watt leds?im currently running 3watts but wana change to 10watts now.this guy that i buy my leds from dont have resisters for the 10watts,just the driver that drive the onex10watt led,

@fahiem where you get your Leds from.
Has he got 10000k lights.please give me any info.
And price and pics

Last edited by a moderator:
hi nabzo,must you have a resister with the 10watt leds?im currently running 3watts but wana change to 10watts now.this guy that i buy my leds from dont have resisters for the 10watts,just the driver that drive the onex10watt led,

Slm fahiem with a 10w some drivers need a 12v resistor some may not need . in CPT there a guy called Led Select he sells . the driver is just there to send the correct voltage to the led so it gives its best performance .

he will have either 10w driver or 20w or 30w drivers

you can use 30w led driver to run 3x10w led

a 10w led driver to run only one 10W

what i do is i go to china mall and buy these led flood light 10w 20w 30w 50w and disassemble them and and take the led drivers and the advantage is that it comes with heatseak so u can use the current heatseak and add more leds on it .

just ask them always for better price or just ask for "stock price "

Back
Top Bottom