DIY LED HELP

Reaction score
Hi Guys !

Hoping that someone can assist or point me in the right direction:
I'm currently running 2x 150w (12K), and 1x 250w (16K) metal halides over my mixed reef. I would like to see more fluorescence from my corals and would like to add a light bar to achieve this. I do have a load of 3w Led's with Meanwell drivers and a Boost Led controller, but my knowledge of electronics is non-existent.
I've contacted one of the guys in P.E. to build me a unit, but unfortunately he's unwilling to do so without PAR readings.
Is there maybe someone that would be willing to build me a light bar (using what I have or completely new)??

Thanks !!!

Last edited:
Thanks @sharktail !!!
I have about 50 blue (2x different types), 40 white, 30 cyan, red, green.
All 3w Cree's. I'll send Royden a pm, hope he can help.

Hi, Please post pics of your LED's, drivers and controller. Do you want to add to existing lights, and what effect are you looking for? What size tank you want to run these on?

Last edited:
@DUPPIE Can't you and Royden chat on this thread. I would love to follow and learn

No Problem, just need more info to see what I can do, the way I understand is DUPPIE wants to add to existing system, but just to enhance the colours, this would of course be using blue,red,green,cyan, orange, voilet and uv led's.

Was in contact with Royden, he's willing to help, and will be building me some units !
THANKS BUD !!!!
We'll post everything here

Hi Guys !

Hoping that someone can assist or point me in the right direction:
I'm currently running 2x 150w (12K), and 1x 250w (16K) metal halides over my mixed reef. I would like to see more fluorescence from my corals and would like to add a light bar to achieve this. I do have a load of 3w Led's with Meanwell drivers and a Boost Led controller, but my knowledge of electronics is non-existent.
I've contacted one of the guys in P.E. to build me a unit, but unfortunately he's unwilling to do so without PAR readings.
Is there maybe someone that would be willing to build me a light bar (using what I have or completely new)??

Thanks !!!
i would imagine the guy that is "unwilling" to help you maybe knows a bit more than me and you together abouth lights . Thats why he is asking questions about par. so i wouldn't be unhappy. I would see it as he is trying to help and do the right thing.

The person in PE is not well liked in some circles as many of his light have failed and not up to spec, and what one pays for and what one gets is totally different and cheap looking. Myself and a well known LFS are looking at building various units which are more pleasing to the eye, are built with quality and long life span in mind and upmost, the best we can produce to give coral growth and ascetics pleasing. I have designed and made 3 entire different units in the past year and a half with all being successful. A forth and fifth design is in progress and should hopefully be completed by the end of the month.

Yip, this person is such an expert that he was able to tell me my phosphate level by just looking at a picture !!!
I've been in and out the hobby for more than 20 years, but this skill I haven't learnt !!:w00t:

@DUPPIE , plans are for 2 x 120w LED Bars consisting of 40 LED's(Various Spectrums) with Lenses per bar, fully controllable via 5 channel controller. These will be about 1200mm(L) x 90mm(W) x 60mm - 75mm(H). Supply via 12V PSU.

Drawing for unit should be completed today or tomorrow and sent for your approval.

@DUPPIE , plans are for 2 x 120w LED Bars consisting of 40 LED's(Various Spectrums) with Lenses per bar, fully controllable via 5 channel controller. These will be about 1200mm(L) x 90mm(W) x 60mm - 75mm(H). Supply via 12V PSU.

Drawing for unit should be completed today or tomorrow and sent for your approval.
Sounds like you'll be using the TC420? Which brand led chips do you use? Bridgelux 3W?

Sounds like you'll be using the TC420? Which brand led chips do you use? Bridgelux 3W?

Yes the TC420/TC421(USB & WIFI) and also the ZETLight ZT6600 controller, it just depends on the build, qty of LED's and if drivers are needed. I prefer the TC Controller to ZETLight as the TC actually ramps up or down according to you programming where as the ZET jumps from one parameter to the next.

I use a variation of Bridgelux/Epistar LED's as well as CREE XP range. Bridgelux are nice as different angle lenses are readily available, cree need to be imported.

Last edited:
Make that a double Bells !!!!
Just checking,..... the tank is 1500mm (1200mm as per your post) ?

I’ve read @Royden Church ’s other thread in his lights be designed and built - judging from that I can only imagine these are going to be super awesome lights on your tank

Back
Top Bottom