DIY Kalk Reactor

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by keyaam, 21 Oct 2008.

1. keyaam

keyaam

Converting Fluidized bed into kalk reactor.

Here is my plan:[​IMG]

Using the following fluidized bed:[​IMG]

The pump will stir the kalk very slowly and kalkwasser will be forced out the top.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Clever :)

4. Jaak

Jaak

Nice Keyaam, keep us posted on how well it works. Some pics would be nice of course...:)

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

What size of a pump you planning Keyaam?Remember, you want it to push the saturated solution through,not the actual kalkwasser (Calcium Hydroxide). Basically a very small pump to be used.

6. keyaam

keyaam Thread Starter

it will be a very small pump just enough to stir the kalk and force the saturated solution through the outlet. I will post pics over the weekend when I get chance to put it into action. The idea is to use up unnecessary hardware lying around.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Cool Keyaam - yes please - I too would love to know if this works - and how well it works.

8. Christo

Christo

Cool! Keyaam!

You can also put the pump on a Timer!

Goodluck! Looking forward to seeing the PICS!

9. keyaam

keyaam Thread Starter

Fluidized Bed

[​IMG]

RO Container

[​IMG]

The Outlet on the FB is about 10mm. I need to resize it to about 3mm. I got a 10mm end cap and will drill a 3mm hole in it for the air line tube outlet. Hope my DIY works.

10. amalick

amalick

Any Progress

Hi Keyaam - I'm about to remove my Fluidized Bed Filter (FBF) since its on of the probable sources of my nitrate problems. All of this is covered in my setup thread.

I was just wondering if you have made any progress on this mod. I beleive you are fimiliar with my auto top up system since you helped me source the hardware.

I plan to plump this FBF to KalStirrer mod via my ro reservoir. I will plum the DIY stirrer with a seperate small 650lph hour power head and dose the affluent into my DT sump at a very low drip rate. Hopefully this drip rate will not exceed my auto tup evaporation needs.

If all of this fails then I will retain the FBF for its original purpose and use it in my QT.

PS : why dont you just put a normal sprinkler system 12mm ball valve on your outlet instead of trying to reduce things to airline tubing thickness. You could then use this valve to get the drip rate you want even if its out of 12mm pipe.

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

just had a look at this where will the pump be situate? (ideally it should be lower or in the RO water container.. is this a feed pump only? in other words will it only agitate the kalk as the new water enters the ex FBF.. apologies just trying to get better clarity to be of more service...

12. amalick

amalick

Could be a problem

This is Keyaams thread so excuse the hijack for a moment. My interpretation of trying this mod of Keyaams' would be to plumb a seperate small pump (lying in my RO Reservoir) that will run on a timer. It will both agitate the kalk and dose as a result of the water entering the chamber causing displacement under pressure.

I have a concern though. If I only want a drip at the outlet of the reactor would I then not be throtteling the entire reactor thereby not allowing the Kalk to stir in the chamber at all.

Recent Posts