DIY Kalk Reactor

Reaction score
Converting Fluidized bed into kalk reactor.

Here is my plan:

Using the following fluidized bed:

The pump will stir the kalk very slowly and kalkwasser will be forced out the top.

Reaction score
Nice Keyaam, keep us posted on how well it works. Some pics would be nice of course...:)

Reaction score
it will be a very small pump just enough to stir the kalk and force the saturated solution through the outlet. I will post pics over the weekend when I get chance to put it into action. The idea is to use up unnecessary hardware lying around.

Reaction score
Fluidized Bed

RO Container

The Outlet on the FB is about 10mm. I need to resize it to about 3mm. I got a 10mm end cap and will drill a 3mm hole in it for the air line tube outlet. Hope my DIY works.

Reaction score
Any Progress

Hi Keyaam - I'm about to remove my Fluidized Bed Filter (FBF) since its on of the probable sources of my nitrate problems. All of this is covered in my setup thread.

I was just wondering if you have made any progress on this mod. I beleive you are fimiliar with my auto top up system since you helped me source the hardware.

I plan to plump this FBF to KalStirrer mod via my ro reservoir. I will plum the DIY stirrer with a seperate small 650lph hour power head and dose the affluent into my DT sump at a very low drip rate. Hopefully this drip rate will not exceed my auto tup evaporation needs.

If all of this fails then I will retain the FBF for its original purpose and use it in my QT.

PS : why dont you just put a normal sprinkler system 12mm ball valve on your outlet instead of trying to reduce things to airline tubing thickness. You could then use this valve to get the drip rate you want even if its out of 12mm pipe.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
just had a look at this where will the pump be situate? (ideally it should be lower or in the RO water container.. is this a feed pump only? in other words will it only agitate the kalk as the new water enters the ex FBF.. apologies just trying to get better clarity to be of more service...

Reaction score
Could be a problem

This is Keyaams thread so excuse the hijack for a moment. My interpretation of trying this mod of Keyaams' would be to plumb a seperate small pump (lying in my RO Reservoir) that will run on a timer. It will both agitate the kalk and dose as a result of the water entering the chamber causing displacement under pressure.

I have a concern though. If I only want a drip at the outlet of the reactor would I then not be throtteling the entire reactor thereby not allowing the Kalk to stir in the chamber at all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jaun_marine DIY 6
Hammerhead Water Parameters and Additives 24
kalkwasser DIY 13
STC-1000 DIY 20
Zookeeper DIY 32