DIY Frozen Food Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Singularity, 3 Feb 2010.

1. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

OK, have been doing some reading with regards to all the different recipes people use for their forzen fish food, i actually wanted to find out if gelatin could be to any detriment, it looks like it can be used to bind the oil, as well as keep the puree in some larger chunks for the fish.

But Bob Fenner suggests the use of Alginate Binders rather than gelatin, specifically Sodium Alginate. Can anybody give me the translation of alginate in afrikaans (lol) Natrium wat ? That will make it just so much easier getting it from the universaty or chemical shops around here.

OK anyway the sodium alginate will be used as binder to keep the food together when you put it in the water and not disperse into the water colum, some people may suggest banana`s or egg yolks but they have never worked aswell as gelatin for me though.

I have been making food for discus for a couple of years and that has been working great for me, here is a list of ingredients i want to incorporate into my marine food

Powdered Ascorbic acid tabs (vitamin C) there is another product in powder form that is also pure vitamin c but cant remember the name right now.

Spirulina

Kelp powder

Powdered Centrum tabs

Quality pellet and flake foods powdered

Nori

And then ofcourse some seafood mix, fresh mussels, white fish etc.

Anyone see any problems with these ingredients ?

Last edited: 3 Feb 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Thread Starter Hmmm amper!

Oh and here is a link to where i found most of the info

DIYFoodFAQs

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Those centrum multi-vitamin tabs???

What about adding some MaxAmino from Brightwell Aquatics.

5. Singularity

Yup centrum multi vitamin tabs. I will have a look at MaxAmino, but i am sure there is probably an equivalent you can get from chemist for much cheaper

6. viper357

Did that come from WWM? Surely there must be something in those tabs that is not suitable for fish, even the concentrations of the elements, what about the bonding agent?

7. Singularity

On wwm they stated that most multi vitamins suitable for human use is safe, somebody asked about the copper content in these kind of tabs. Anyway i have used it for years in my discus foods with good results, somewhere in that FAQ someone uses liquid baby multi vitamin to soak their food in before feeding

8. viper357

Ok cool. I would definitely add some mysis shrimp in that mix as well.

9. Hill

Hill

I used to add fish roe as well.

Don't use the crab sticks from the seafood mix, apparently they are not crab.

I used to add shrimp, mussel, oyster if I could get, Hake, spirulina flakes. Actually I would add any seafood stuff I could find.

Edit - Forgot the NORI.

10. Singularity

Can we also maybe hear from some of the experts on the copper in multi vitamin tabs ?

Recent Posts