DIY frozen food - Glazing?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Louis Scheepers, 28 Jun 2010.

1. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Hi
    I want to make diy frozen fish food, and need some of the experienced chef's advice!
    I wanted to buy frozen food like hake, mussel, calamari and prawn tails today, but saw that it contains "20% glazing". Don't know what the glazing is, but according to the label, it keeps moisture in... Is this safe to use? Should I just wash it properly with RO water?
    There are also shrimp tails, but it is cooked, I guess I should leave that out, right?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Louis - yes. Just "Wash" the frozen marine mix/hake/etc with RO water (to get the glazing off), then I usually use tank water to mix/dilute my frozen food during blending.... :)

4. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers Thread Starter

Thanks Jacques, will do that.
    What about the shrimp, can I use it?
    I have also read that some people use garlic, vitamin C, Centrum tabs, Spirulina, etc. Any advice, is it safe to use, and where can I get it?

5. jacquesb

Yes, yes and yes. It won't cause any harm. The fish will adapt to the shrimp in the long run. And you CAN indeed add garlic, Vitamin C, etc..... it won't do any harm, as far as I know.

EVEN though these don't "naturally" occur in the sea in the same form as you are feeding it - neither does keeping fish in a small glass box seem "natural'....

All these other "additives" that you are talking about, at least could possibly make the fish healthier.....

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Isn't glazing just another word for water?

7. jacquesb

Dean - I do think that the glazing does contain some additives, though.... not only pure water.

8. Louis Scheepers

I have no idea, the packaging only said: "only 20% glazing". I assumed that it is something artificial.

9. Lockes

Lockes

Louis - have a look at FLorida Aqua Farms - they sell a lot of awesome ingredients for making your own food

10. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Best binder for your own food is sodium alginate, and for pure Vitamin-C i use Balanced C

11. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Here is a pic of the vitamin-C product, it is sometimes hard to find, dont know why... +/-R120 for 250g

[​IMG]

12. Louis Scheepers

Thanks Singularity. Where can I buy these two products? Pharmacy?

How much do you use of each product?

I read somewhere that "binders" could end up on your sand, and then bind that together. .. is this save to use, or is it safer to leave the binder?

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Sodium alginate is the best binder for marine food, this just helps that it doesnt go all over the place when you feed, just do some googling about it, i dont think you will have that problem with sodium alginate. The Vit-C you should be able to get from a good pharmacy, the sodium alginate you will have to order from a chemicals suplier, its relatively cheap. I dont really want to say how much of what, i just follow some of the basic recipes that you find on the net and add a little more or less. I also use centrum tabs, spirulina tabs and fresh garlic. If you can find high quality whole herring meal it will also be good for protein boost, but it has to be high quality whole herring meal.

14. colbar

colbar

Oh I have always been put off by the "20% glazing" especially because it all comes from China. Have been from fishmonger to fishmonger looking for fresh, unprocessed fish, but if you guys use it, then I will give it a try.

15. jacquesb

It does work, colbar....... BUT, I would indeed wash off the "glazing" with some RO water first!

16. colbar

colbar

Jacquesb, anything that is frozen (like the cubes, or home-made food) I feel should always be rinsed to remove phosphates. I let it thaw in RO water and then just give a rinse with more RO water.

17. jacquesb

That sounds like great methodology, Colbar! ;)

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

according to matt wittenrich( marine biologist who has successfully bred over 90 species including mandarins) you can use gelatine as per instructions to mix in with your food mix , set it in thin slabs and chop a little up each time you feed. this prevents food dispersion and fish can enjoy their food. ps use ro to make up gelatine mixture and cool slightly before mixing finely chopped up food in it.. agar agar can apparently also be used(gelatine made from seaweed)

19. Jacojs

Jacojs

Tagged

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry guys ... anyone feeding their livestock lobster/crayfish? BTW for people like me what is the difference between lobster and crayfish .... oh what about crab meat as food and are your cleaning the hard outer skeletons of these foods or crushing them with meaty parts?

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

lobster is like a crayfish with two large pinchers(not found in sa) and a crayfish and a rock lobster are one and the same.
    a little of the shell is alright as fish need the chitin but one needs to be carefull cos the high cholestrol in crayfish will result in swollen liver if fed to fish too regularly.

Recent Posts