DIY Equipment

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Gareth0508, 1 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Howsit Guys, not sure if this has been asked or discussed before, but was wondering what equipment you guys are using and how you made them etc?

At the moment this is my equipment:
    Coke bottle with the bottom cut off
    2 different sized nets, made from clear plastic, 4mm wire frame and white plastic meshing for the bottom bottom
    Small cooler box
    Chaser - made from an old bass rod, glued plastic lures at the end to scare the fish!

Just curious to see what other guys are using and how they've made theirs.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

is this for catching fish? why would you want to scare them with a fake lure? sorry for asking i am just a bit curious..:)

4. Gareth0508

Gareth0508 Thread Starter

@TheFish
    There is method to my madness! ha ha
    Just from experience, chasing a fish into a net instead of scooping the fish with the net has a better outcome. Basically by positioning your net in an area you expect the fish to exit or swim to and chasing him there with the "Chaser" is a lot easier than creating tidal waves in the water trying to scoop the guy!

5. the fish

the fish

lol oky i understand exactly now. making it sound so easy.. lol if only we thought of it when we were down in Hibberdene not to long ago:blush:

6. Gareth0508

I can't even begin to explain how far from easy it actually is! To say the least its actually FRUSTRATING!
    Probably the hardest to catch are your goldies! They swim into little cracks and hide, occasionally come out to see whats happening and shoot back! The bigger fish like your Powder Blues and Idols etc, are often a lot wiser and faster than the others. More often than not in open water where it is extremely hard to trap them.

But you'll be suprised what you can find in tidal pools and rock pools.

7. the fish

the fish

did see a couple of beautiful fish in a few rock pools yes. was absolutely stunning swimming between them. and chasing them down. some of the pools not so easy. was quite big with lots of rock and hiding spaces. didnt make the catch very easy at all

8. Gareth0508

Got to admit that diving fro your own fish and introducing them into your tank is a lot more rewarding than buying them from a LFS! And a lot cheaper!

My Inlaw currently has a 1000L tank and we dive almost every weekend to see what we can find. Trying new spots this season coming and will post our catches when we get.

9. the fish

the fish

@Gareth0508 this is very true. even with the frustration involved in catching them you still have a bit of fun. and catching the juvis and put them in your tank and watch them grow is a lot better. most the fish you catch are sometimes more healthy than the ones in the lfs it self. good luck with the catches and please update us on this thread with the pics of the catches or just start up a new one

10. Gareth0508

As soon as we start again Ill post some pics. Taking a break for a while to get my tank up and running, so hopefully when we start again Ill be stocking my tank and not the Inlaws! ha ha

11. the fish

the fish

lol goodluck man. best wishes on this hobby for you. will be following your thread

12. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

ah man i have not been specimen diving for a long time......
    Boy do I miss it.................. The joy of finding something rare then the catch...

AWESOME!!!!!!

13. NO3

NO3

The sea was super clean this weekend!!!

14. Gareth0508

Went for a quick dive on the low tide last week. Sorry to admit that collecting season not at its best yet :(
    Only catches were 2 Racoons, a cleaner wrasse and a Sabre Tooth Blenny. Saw a copper band, but the tide was pushing and he was way too clever! ha ha. I'm taking my gear with me this weekend when I head up to Transkei, will see if I can spot anything better!

15. Pendragon

Pendragon

How did it go.

16. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

Did the coke bottle work?

17. Gareth0508

I took my gear to Transkei, but didn't do much diving. In the next 2 months there should be some decent specimens around. Ill post an update the next time I go. Just doing the finishing touches to my tank and getting it wet this weekend! Finally!

18. makharold

makharold

What happened .the 2l coke bottle always works.com as a kid we made fish catchers as my grandfather would call them basically it's 2x2l bottles and a jar will post a sketch and remember the trick is to predict the parth of the fish,block the path and chase the fish into the trap

Recent Posts