DIY dual reactors -Phosguard & GaC

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Papitto, 2 May 2015.

1. Papitto

Papitto

Decided to run GaC and phosguard.
    Had a used dual RO canister I put to good use finally. Opted for 10mm RO tubing and fittings (which aren't very cheap).
    See pics below

IMG_20150502_111923.jpg

IMG_20150502_112548.jpg

IMG_20150502_111957.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Papitto

Papitto Thread Starter

4. HermFish

HermFish

Looks great and practical what's your flow rate and what did it cost you?

5. Papitto

Papitto Thread Starter

Total cost approx. R315 excluding media. Running it on a Dymax 1200L/h adjusted to 2/3rds via ball valve. So approx pushing 800L/h through the media. Giving it time before re adjustments

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This is quite a good concept used by many.

The problem is that GFO (or GFH) and GAC have different absorption and adsorbtion rates. This means different amount of (serviceable and effective) time.

IMO, I like to see a lot less flow through the GFO but the GFO to be fluidized. The "flow" or rather "turbidity" should be just enough to keep the media in suspension, but one viscous enough not to cause excessive friction and cause the media to grind.
    For example the flow (turbidity) within the GFO/GFH chamber could be 1000lph to fluidize the media and the effluent flow through the chamber 100lph to reduce the PO4.
    The flow rate through the GFO media needs to be measured in terms of PO4 entering and that exiting the reactor. So the flow through the reactor should not determine the fluidity of the media but the the desired PO4 reduction of the effluent exciting the reactor. If the reduction of a high PO4 is is not measurable then the flow through is to high or the media is exhausted. The converse applies.

Flow through GAC needs to be rather brisk but should not be fluidized as the GAC breaks up.

No matter what form or sort of reactor one uses. The control of the output is most important. The output determine what the filter or media is achieving. IMO rather pointless if one does not know what any bit of kit is a doing.

Looking forward to your thought on how the two different media are going to be handled?

Last edited: 2 May 2015
    carlosdeandrade likes this.
  7. Papitto

Papitto Thread Starter

+1 I secured the GaC with black sponge to make sure it isnt tumbling. When the flow then hits the "GFO", it raises media about 4mm above resting level. No tumbling at all. I only intended to slowly run water through the media. The GaC is fine since it absorbs organics using some type of electronic pull of some sorts, my only concern is not grinding both media.

will see in 4/5 days when i test P04

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The idea is great. Just think about what i say to refine your design and you will get great results.:thumbup:

I understand that. But think about it. The flow through is a hit and miss. How do you know if the reactor is efficient or doing anything?

GAC aDsorbs and not aBsorbs organics and inorganics. This is why the lifespan of GAC is so short. Short meaning it's effectiveness to adsorb organics and inorganics. It is also very aggressive until it is totally adsorbed. However it does have some absorbtion properties. It is very porous and can house bacteria.

When you test you need to test the PO4 entering the reactor and the PO4 exiting the reactor to get an indication of how effective the GFO is.

Not sure if you are aware that most brands of GAC have some sort of PO4 contamination. You need to be able to distinguish if the GAC is is the cause of the PO4 exiting the reactor or if the GFO is exhausted.

Last edited: 3 May 2015
    carlosdeandrade likes this.
Recent Posts