DIY denitrifier?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently bought a complete setup second hand and with it I got two Merlin fluidized bed filters with it. I was wondering if they could be converted into denitrifiers. Is it possible just to replace the filter media within them to act as denitrifiers?

What kind of media would you have to put in them to make it work?

is it like the phospahte reactor type?

Quicken why not run a DSB or refugium if you have the space? Same results.

what media can be used?well thats if the reactor can be converted into a denitrifier.and whats the best flow rate?
Any "filter" could act as a denitrifyer IF it has a suitable medium, AND if the water flow through it could be reduced to such a low flow that the water becomes an-oxic (oxygen poor, but not totally anaerobic).

So, the Merlin could be converted to a "denitrator", but, as it was actually designed to be a highly aerobic filter, it would really be a waste, IMHO.

A better way would be to just let the water flow through a 20m (or thereabouts...) length of flexable tubing of a suitable diameter. It would work even better if you could fill this tubing with a highly porous media.

In my limited experience, I have found that denitrators are difficult to operate successfully long-term. Rather use a deep sand bed in a bucket, if you do not want to use a sump/refugium - it will work much better in the long run.

Hennie

Alan.ive got a nano with no DSB.i also want to try out a denitrifier.i have one of those reactors from Marco.what media can be used?well thats if the reactor can be converted into a denitrifier.and whats the best flow rate?

looking at the aquamedic sulphur reactor that i just got it would be really easy to turn one of marcos reactors into a sulphur denitrator. just get a 2 in one and put sulphur beads in the first chamber and hydro carbonate in the second. i have my unit set to 1 drop a second until nitrates are measuring 0 in the effluent. then just step it up by 1 drop every 2 days until you pick up nitrates in the effluent then bring it back a notch and bobs your uncle

Hey guys I'm still new at this but also want to try a DIY denitrate reactor,or this dsb youy are talking about,can anyone please add some pictures so I can get an idea what to do? Thank a milion

Back
Top Bottom