DIY Controller?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by moz, 25 Aug 2008.

1. moz

moz

Bosses are away today, so I'm not very busy, which make me think of improvements to my tank. While I would love a controller/computer on my tank the current options are rather pricey, so I guess the only option I have is DIY. The problem I have is my electrical knowledge is rather limited (I check for voltage leaks with my finger). Which brings me to the question, would something like the “Make Controller” (see links below) be suitable for a simple Aquarium Controller? It should be easy enough to get input from probes, turn on pumps, valves, lights etc. My second question is are MH's dimable?

makezine.com: Controller Kit
    http://www.makingthings.com/

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

You can dim MH's, but BIG loot :p

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

This kit seems to be able to do the job for an aquarium controller, but it seems to be missing high voltage relays which are required for switching lights and pumps.

It has I/O ports, so you can have loads of fun with this. I have a similar AV controller but with a SMS module, so really could do some weird things with it. (SMS me when the lights fail or the pH drops below 7.0 :whistling:)

Also has analog inputs, so your tank's level can be communicated or controlled via the controller

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

It is just a dif ballast, they say it will cost 2 - 3 time more than a normal one.
    Looks like 1 ballast will cover bulbs from 50w - 600w. Will post more info when they send it to me.

6. moz

moz Thread Starter

Guess to have to see if my budget can handle it, only plan on starting the new tank in December.

Recent Posts