DIY Chiller

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Mewik, 19 Jan 2012.

1. Mewik

Mewik

Being summer and all I was doing some hunting around for ways to cool my tank and I think I had a lightbulb moment.

Surely I could just use the backside of my sump and stick a aluminium heatsink straight onto the glass then pop a few fans onto the heatsink and presto!! Think ill get some diy done and post the outcome. It seems to be a logical theory :whistling:

Anybody out there tried this? Or got a better idea? The idea is to cool the tank off without taking up more space or pumping water through a cooling area etc etc. If it works then heatsinks can even be shoved onto the rear of the tank as well, eliminating the need for a big, expensive chiller sitting next to my tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

Truth is I was thinking on the same route, just that I has stainless steel "radiator in mind" and using two 120 x 120 220v Amplifier fans.

but I have put that idea on the back shelf for now, being worried it might not suffice.
    then I got to speaking with our yard manager, he used to be a refrigeration artisan.

well my new idea is to take an ice maker and change the (I forget the real name) switch over switch and install an improved thermo controller to do the job, secondly I have seen sometimes Platinum ice maker go for R799 on special.

with decent flow ice does not form, plus the ice make aid in heating,- the head(also stainless) heats up to release the ice its made.

this is what i'm busy with now.(testing faze)

Last edited: 19 Jan 2012
  4. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Yeah I had a think about something along those lines using a mini fridge/cooler box as you can pick them up pretty cheaply nowadays, I figured it was starting to get too complicated so I went back to the drawing board.

Thing is my tank is not far off being fine temp wise and it sits on 28.5 in the day so I'm really just looking to try bring it down a degree or two. I will order a heatsink and put something together. You could get away with using copper as it wont be in contact with any water, that should work a bit better than aluminium.

cswhitehead likes this.
  5. toppdogg

toppdogg

On really hot days i use a desk fan just blowin over the surface of the water also works and keeps temp below 28 degrees
    just my 2c

6. mupwi

mupwi

unfortunately this wont work heatsinks even with fans blowing on them will only cool thinks to the ambiant air temp so if your heat is coming from youre liting or somthing like that it might help but at least here in durban the problem is the air temp is way over tank temp. the fans blowing over the waters serface works to cool it below ambiant using evaprative cooling this is more efective in drier climates but in durban where it is not uncommon to reach 90% humidity you can only get about 3 deg below ambiant fine for most days on my tank.

For thoes hot days where evaporative cooling cant keep up im busy building a small chiller using peltier elements ill post details when I have found the time to finish it.

lancehall123 likes this.
  7. neemow

neemow

Iv found that instead of buying an expensive chiller why not just invest in an aircon :)that way, not only your tank stays cool

8. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

That would be a win win :)

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Be careful with radiators. Ensure no copper pipes where used and no other heavy chemicals can get into contact with the water running past it.

Fans blowing across either the display or sump is another simple solution. Just ensure your auto top up drum stays full.

10. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

very true, copper and aluminium do corrode, stainless or small pvc/plastic capillary tubes is the best option

11. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

The idea is to put the heatsink on the bottom of the sump like in the pic below. So it wont be in contact with any water. It will draw heat out of the tank, minus the evaporation that a fan on the surface would cause. I am going to hunt around my work today for an old cpu cooler and ill will see if it actually has any merit, if it looks promising i will spend a few bucks on a decent cpu cooler. If they can take 70 odd degrees off a cpu chip then I'm sure they can knock 2 off a small tank.

[​IMG]

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

that heatsink wont remove much, glass is a terrible conductor of heat, you are better of adding 4 cpu fans blowing over the water surface

13. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

secondly the heat will be re-introduced faster then what the small surface area of the heat sink area in ratio to the glass area + the other 3 sides.

14. salty dog

salty dog

I don't want to hijack the thread but I've had this idea for a while and I wonder if someone can give me their opinions.

My plan is to take a small caravan or bar freezer and drill two holes in the top, one on each side. I will then run plastic piping through the holes with a lot of piping in the freezer. I will then rig a pump from the sump and returning to the sump again. The pump and freezer (on and off) will be controlled by a thermostat. I was even thinking of sealing the freezer and filling it with water, effectively freezing the water inside (I will leave an expansion space)

Second idea is to fill the piping with some form of antifreeze and make a closed loop system with some piping in the sump for temp transfer. Then I will definately seal and fill the freezer and run it on a more permanent basis but the pump still off a thermostat.

I know that the plastic, transparrent piping is not the best heat conductor but it is cheaper and easier than other materials.

Now what do you guys think?

15. brentv

brentv

Here is my DIY Chiller,
    doesn't look like a million bucks, but it works like a demon...
    have a digital thermostat in my Sump and this baby outside, my temp is constant 24deg summer and winter.
    The blue around the pipe is covering the stainless steel piping. Top pipe outgoing bottom incoming!!
    Got the pipe manufactured at powerflow exhaust! :thumbup:
    The whole actuall unit is an old fridge unit... hence the rust etc on the outside!:tt2:
    [​IMG]

16. lancehall123

lancehall123

Like mupwi. I am going to try the peltier system. I have some plans in my on how I am going to pull this off. I will update you guys once I am done.

brentv, your system looks really cool!

I currently have 2x 120mm PC fans hooked up to a transformer. temp sits around 27.5. I am in Durban so I am quite proud of that. lol

Good luck guys!

17. Braco

Braco

This heat is killing me softly...lol...what i did was to purchase a water dispenser and bought 6m plastic piping coiled it in the chiller compartment and filled it with water disconnected the hot water switch and viola...my heat goes to 26.9 on the very hot days when we were in excess of 30 degrees...and the coolest it gets is 23.9..over a 18hr period...which in my opinion is gradual enough...check the second hand stores..since then i have no worries of heat in my DT..:p

18. brentnorm

brentnorm

Tried that but it's way more expensive to run a Aircon than running a chiller. Perhaps the new inverter aircons would be cheaper. A chiller properly chosen for your size tank will generally only run for about 5-10 minutes an hour.

Recent Posts