DIY Chiller

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by gavster, 4 Aug 2011.

1. gavster

gavster

Ok so I'm sitting in an obviously riveting board meeting and staring at the water cooler and wondering why these cheap devices can't be converted into chillers? @lIghty and the other electrical guru's?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hermanus

Hermanus

Cool idea :)

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

In a meeting and on MASA? ... busted :p

I think first you need to find out if the parts that come into contact with the salt water is stainless steal otherwise chaces are its going to rust, fast! Secondly you will need a thermostat and pump.

5. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

they aren't made of appropriate materials to withstand salt water contact... titanium is the materiel of choice for most seawater chillers... i think, that water coolers are made with aluminium coils and what not...

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Copper

7. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

well there we go... then you wont have to treat your tank for whitespot... :p

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

:lol:

9. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! I knew there was a catch... Does it definitely run through copper though?

10. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

im gonna tag along here cos i also want to make my own chiller... was looking at getting a 12v cooler box and drilling an inlet and outlet in it then running a copper coil thru it.

Those boxes are R500 for the 24lt ones .

11. lIghty

lIghty

Good Question!

First off all, are you talking about those desk type ones or the big unit that takes a container of about 20lts?

[​IMG] OR [​IMG]

If its the first, they they generally use a device called a peltier pump, which is basically an electrical heat pump, it get hot on one side and cold on the other, by placing the cold side on a chamber of water, it pulls the heat from it (making the water colder) and expels it on the other side, which is usually mounted with a heatsink and fan. The problem with these is they don't have huge cooling powers, therefor you would require a number of them which is costly before you even start.

The larger types generally have a compressor just like a fridge and out chillers we have, the compressor has much more cooling power!

Also as stated before, you have to look at what the water will be exposed to while in the cooler, in most cases its copper, which is not good for our tanks.

3 methods I would look at: Marine chiller, evaporator cooler and geothermal cooling, but all have there own pros and cons.

12. lIghty

lIghty

Once again, they use peltier pumps and you can't use copper! :(

13. lIghty

lIghty

Some do have a epoxy or plastic like coating, but I wouldn't take the chance.

14. KeeganP

KeeganP

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Aug 2011
  15. Braco

Braco

i have purchased an old one in working order still and it is aluminium...i am slowly converting all aluminium pipes with plastic..i am going to get it going probably by the end of this month. Will post some pictures this week -end showing the model i bought.;)

16. Braco

Braco

Keeganp - the only problem I see with this, controlling the temp...?

They have a temp probe at the back mine has a screw to adjust to the desired temperature.

17. KeeganP

KeeganP

Thats awesome man, Then there is no reason why it shouldnt work, What is the highest you can set it to?

I tried to goolge, how the actual cooling part/section looks like but with no luck.

I mean I did a google search and a brand new one is going go R1200 compared this to a proper chiller, its crazy cheap!! the only reason why our marine chillers are so darn expensive, is because the manufacturers can and will sell it as they please...

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Aug 2011
  18. lIghty

lIghty

It it compressor or Peltier driven?

Not sure I understand you here, but remember, air is a bad conductor of heat!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Haha.... I never thought my boredom would spark such intense discussion. I'm loving it boys! Lighty the one I saw was a small desktop unit but it didn't have a water container. It was a small unit around 60cm's high and looked as though it was fed directly from the water line? I haven't seen one before, but the minute I saw its compact size I immediately realised what it resembled and hence my bright/not so bright idea, whichever way you look at it....

20. Braco

Braco

It it compressor or Peltier driven?

The one i have is compressor it has a fridge motor at the back of it...i have seen many a times where the guys make their own DIY CHILLERS with the aid of a fridge motor a fan and some tubing and a small radiator which the fan is blowing on to keeping the flow of water cool...when i bought this water cooler my thinking was to simulate that kind of but not exactly that way cooling down my DT ...

21. lIghty

lIghty

The refrigeration cycle is a very simple process, there are only 4 main parts, them being the compressor, condenser coil, dryer and evaporator coil, thats it.

But it's the knowledge of calculating the correct size components to work together without popping the compressor etc.

The reason marine chiller are pricey is since they have titanium evaporator coils which can be submerged into our tank water without problems.

Not to say you can't DIY, but just do your homework beforehand.

Recent Posts