DIY ANEMONE PROPAGATION - Kick Ass!

Here's how the setup started: 50gal drum (they have 2 of em)
PICT6847.med.jpg

PICT6898.med.jpg

Carpetting so that the anemone's are easy to detach and remove for selling etc
PICT6912.med.jpg

He was actually having trouble with the system (although I still think it will definitely work, just needs to rethink a few things - I think id he added some LR to them it would have been far better and more stable)

Here's the tank he's set up for propagation. It's under a 175W MH:
PICT8849.med.jpg

More guts than I would have!
PICT9259.med.jpg

Ouch:
PICT9265.med.jpg

I bet you guys would want one!
PICT9284.med.jpg

Nice one Matt. Thanks Pal!!

I suppose you have to cut it through the centre only? Only in half? Or will quarters work?

If anybody is going to try this, please ensure your anemone is supremely healthy and in perfect condition. It is also best to feed the anemone for about 2 months prior to cutting it.

Are nemmies easy enough to get off their rock ?
No, it's quite difficult, if you can surprise them by quickly brushing them off the rock then they might come off easily, but if you're too slow they grip on with all their force and then you have to leave them to relax again. You have to be extremely careful not to damage their foot in this process. The only other way is to slowly and carefully prise them off the rock by sort of peeling their foot away a bit at a time.

I removed mine by taking the rock out and rubbing an ice cube in a thick plastic bag around the foot, the nem will then try to move, then you try to pick it up, if it grips, then try again and also try to very gently tease with a tooth brush, you need to be VERY patient, it took me several hours to move mine without causing stress or damage.

Back
Top Bottom