Hermit Crab
Reaction score
My DIY Algae scrubber video

Are the water flowing to fast over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
looking good dude, you may want to add another light on the other side, if possible, to double up your algae production.

angelboy

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
looking good dude, you may want to add another light on the other side, if possible, to double up your algae production.
Its not that hard to build. I have to lights on it. So i need to bring the other light closser? Must i stop skimming or can i go on with it? How long do it take to start forming algae?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Its not that hard to build. I have to lights on it. So i need to bring the other light closser? Must i stop skimming or can i go on with it? How long do it take to start forming algae?
Not a good idea IMHO :)

angelboy

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Okay i will not stop skimming. How long before i will see some algae growing Tobes?

dallasg

Reaction score
i might get shot for this :)
once its running, my view is to skim for less, but in time you will see what works for you.

Hill

Cardinal
Reaction score
I can't really make out water flow on the video, but would guess you would want in the region of 1 t0 3mm over the length of the screen. Santa Monica would know better though.

angelboy

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
i might get shot for this :)
once its running, my view is to skim for less, but in time you will see what works for you.

Are they so crule:biggrin:
Thnx for the advice guys. But still no answer on the algae grow, when will i be able to know when its working right.

ben lloyd

Cardinal
Reaction score
it will take 2 weeks before you will see algae grow on the panel give it some time and don't fiddle with it to much.

goodisor

Clownfish
Reaction score
But still no answer on the algae grow, when will i be able to know when its working right.
..I heard it takes about 2 week,but did you remember to seed the screen with some algae?I vaguely recall SM mentioning something about that.Might pay yyou to have a look through his thread in the beginning

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
..I heard it takes about 2 week,but did you remember to seed the screen with some algae?I vaguely recall SM mentioning something about that.Might pay yyou to have a look through his thread in the beginning
I found seeding the screen, made the algae kick in way quicker. I used my actual mag. glass cleaner to seed it and it works great.

angelboy

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I saw that thread only now that u have mention that.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Must i stop skimming?
Not a good idea IMHO :)
I agree, please do not stop using your skimmer until you have been using the scrubber for a few months and you understand exactly how it works, what it does, how much maintenance it requires, the science behind it etc. etc. Once you reach this confidence level and you also are doing regular parameter tests, only then can you think about the possibility of removing our skimmer, even then I would just switch it off for a few days at a time and monitor your parameters to see what they do, also monitor any visible signs of any change in your tank.

For a newcomer to the hobby, the use of an algae scrubber is by no means a magical cure for all ailments. Keep your skimmer!

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
For a newcomer to the hobby, the use of an algae scrubber is by no means a magical cure for all ailments. Keep your skimmer!
I agree with Viper here 100% - no offence to anyone, but guys with little experience should rather keep their skimmers running, even if they have 10 algae scrubbers :whistling:

Yes you can use both - can't see why not.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
So its not a bad thing to run both of them.
Nope, if anything it is better, as you are pulling out huge amounts of inorganic and organic nutrients.

Once you have mastered a ATS, you can look at switching your skimmer off at night, allowing more natural food to be fed to your corals, BUT this can only be done once you have prolonged periods of zero Phosphates and Nitrates.

crispin

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
Nope, if anything it is better, as you are pulling out huge amounts of inorganic and organic nutrients.

Once you have mastered a ATS, you can look at switching your skimmer off at night, allowing more natural food to be fed to your corals, BUT this can only be done once you have prolonged periods of zero Phosphates and Nitrates. and have a very good understanding of the flitration of your tank and its inhabitants requirements. Else you are playing russian roulette. its for the well experienced, and even then they think twice before going skimmerless on larger systems. if the last space available isntfulled in a nano, they still put a skimmer (all be it crap at times) in!
sorry for adding onto your thought there warr, i just happen to agree with you for once:) hehe

Phyrannus

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Anyone can give me a lecture please :thumbup: on How or Whats additional benefits can get in setting up an algae scrubber into your sump if you're already running a reliable skimmer and refugium?
Literate my stagnant brain please:lol:.