DIY Algae Scrubber for Boyu Nano

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I've been contemplating for a while to do an algae scrubber for my setup. Problem though is that I have a Boyu TL450 (58 liter) Nano and they aren't exactly made to accomodate a scrubber.

I cannot go with an external scrubber as I have no sump . There is also no space for a "hang on" scrubber , and doing the plumbing in and out of the nano will become a nightmare.

So, after reading a couple of threads from SantaMonica and looking at a few "Nano" scrubber designs , I have come up with the following:

(Still busy learning Sketchplan, so please excuse the "manufactured" drawing)

Shown below is the existing/standard layout of the filter compartments at the back of the Boyu TL450.

BOYUFILTER1.jpg

Waterflow (indicated by blue arrows) comes in from the right most compartment through the water gates. It flows through the pump into the skimmer compartment and then exits at two slots (bottom and top) of the compartment.
From the 3rd compartment it flows down and enters the fourth compartment at the bottom. Another pump then returns the water to the DT via a spraybar.

This is the scrubber design which I intend working on.

BOYUFILTER2.jpg

Waterflow (indicated by blue arrows) still comes through the overflow in the 1st compartment . The pump then transfers the water via 15mm clear tubing to the second compartment . I have included for a valve (indicated by No. 1 in sketch). This is to ensure that the pump flow can be adjusted accordingly.

In the second compartment the skimmer is removed and the algae scrubber fitted at the top of the compartment . Scrubber consists of PVC conduit pipe (No. 2 in sketch)and a plastic mesh screen (No. 4 in sketch) measuring 76 mm accross and 100mm deep .

The compartments are too small to accomodate lights on both sides of the screen, so the light chosen will be a single 24/36W CFL or PL tube (No.3 in sketch ) . Must still decide on which type.

The existing holes left by removing the skimmer intake pipe (No.5 in sketch) are blocked off as well as the top exit (No.6 in sketch) .

Water thus flows from 1st compartment , via the pump to top of PVC conduit . Then down the screen in the 2nd compartment and out to the 3rd compartment.

Compartments 3 & 4 remain unaltered.

For now I am leaving the Chemi-pure elite compound at the bottom of the 4th compartment.

With this design , I am not changing any features of the compartment or doing permanent changes like cutting and drilling.

I'll gather materials over the weekend and do the build.

Will post pictures of the build once this has been done. :thumbup:

As always , your comments & suggestions will be appreciated.

looks like a great mod, one can also float the screen on the water to achieve the same effect, but i think your mod looks great

looks like a great mod, one can also float the screen on the water to achieve the same effect, but i think your mod looks great

Thanks Dallas,

Float the screen on the water ? Don't you need to have good flow over the screen to facilitate/encourage algae growth ?

Or am I misunderstanding you ?

if it floats the water will flow over it, on that long thread, there is a couple of pics of floating scrubbers, even the one aquarium had them.... its the light thats more important

if it floats the water will flow over it, on that long thread, there is a couple of pics of floating scrubbers, even the one aquarium had them.... its the light thats more important

Ah, yes . Right you are Dallas.
I've just had a look at the thread.

someone here used there overflow for a scrubber

mod of mod

Flow to low and submerged or floating ineffective I needed more flow and more air so I elevated it and put outlet of phosphate reactor over the scrubber big change in growth also the red puffy algae receding slowly
IMG_20121110_085712_zps84769249.jpg

Back
Top Bottom