DIY Air Driven Skimmer

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by lIghty, 16 Dec 2009.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi All

Was talking to someone this more at a LPS about building a skimmer.

I have a 300mm Dia acrylic tube thats about 700mm high that I want to build into a skimmer and we were discussing the use of an air pump to supply bubbles.

I've done some research and have found the air delivery is about 500lts/h and up to about 2000lts/h on bigger models.

Now I can get an airpump that will supply up to 75ltrs/min, that equates to 4500ltrs/h, I do realise that the bubble size from an air pump and stone won't be as small (but still very small) as those coming from a Pin Wheel pump, however surely with so much more air it would be ok.

Any comments?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I used 4 wooden airstones and a big Resun Blower on my DIY skimmer, I had to put a tap on the airline though as it was way too much air, but it worked like a charm. I found that if the airflow was too high then it would make much bigger bubbles, the lower I turned the airflow down the smaller bubbles it created, so I fine tuned the airflow until I got to what I thought was the smallest yet sufficient quantity of bubbles. The thing with wooden airstones is that they do deteriorate after time and will need to be replaced so you need to think about easy access before you build it. If you are worried about bubble size you could try and incorporate a recirculating pump to chop up the bubbles even more.

4. martin

martin Reef Adict

Most high capacity air pumps blow warm/hot air so be carefull as this would heat the water considerabily.

5. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys!

6. Pugsly

Pugsly

keep us posted on your progress - I enjoy watching a DIY project

7. viper357

Check what 4 wooden airstones and some pvc pipe can do for you brother....:)

[​IMG]

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

YOH!!!!! now that is something

9. Falcon

Falcon

wow some dirty stuff there lol beats those extremes even...why did you stop using it viper?

10. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

If u need powerful skimming I would suggest u the aqua-bee pump UP2000/1..Ur DIY skimmer will be a monster

11. viper357

Too much of a headache to maintain, I didn't think about having to replace the airstones when I built it, it was over 1 meter high and the airstones were right at the bottom, took me almost half an hour to try and fish them out, replace them and then another 20 minutes trying to get them back in again, soaked up to my armpits from reaching down, water gushing out over the top, carpets wet etc. etc. Too much of a mission.

Recent Posts