DIY AIO (All in one) +/- 130L Build Help

Reaction score
I really knew that once i started again in marines, going bigger would be inevitable. Plan is to keep it Nano size and without external sump. I have a few ideas for a DIY All in one tank and would appreciate any recommendations on the way forward.

Tank should be 700 (L) x 450 (W) x 450 (H) can go shorter if it would work out better for lighting. 6mm sides and 8mm base.

In Tank Filtration would be around 110mm wide running the length on the back of the tank.
I am not sure what sizes to make the individual chambers. Should the return be bigger than the overflow chambers?
Thoughts to include an RO Reservoir as well making it 6 chambers or 5 depending on style below

5 Chamber in tank filtration - 2 x corner drains (weirs) with centre return
1st Chamber - Corner Weir flowing into Filter Wool, Carbon, GFO in a media basket
2nd Chamber - Small Skimmer
3rd Chamber - Return
4th Chamber - Heater/Refugium
5th Chamber - Bio Balls, Ceramic Media

or

4 Chamber in tank Filtration 1 x corner drain flowing through
1st Chamber - Corner Weir with filter wool, carbon and GFO in a media basket,
2nd Chamber - Small Skimmer
3rd Chamber - Refugium
4th Chamber - Heater
5th Chamber - Return

This is what I found on the net after searching.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-18 at 11.56.08 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-18 at 11.56.07 PM.jpeg

Am I making things more complicated than they need to be? Can I get away with a simple 3 chamber design (+1 for RO Reservoir) for the filtration?

Apologies for the many questions, I would like to get all info before starting with the build.

Reaction score
This is cool! Are you going to build the tank yourself?
I've spoken to a few tank builders and LFS's to get an idea of the build. Not confident enough to build myself as yet. Making sure my plans and ideas are correct before going ahead.

Reaction score
AIO nanos are quite common in the US. Nice to see someone trying it here

I came across a guy on Facebook marketplace that builds AIO tanks. Black silicone and blacked out filtration compartments. He's work looks good from the pics I've seen

Reaction score
I think you could quite easily get away with 3 baffles, but then again if you have a vision for something, it's always good not to have too many fingers in the pie. I don't see any glaring issues! I also had a DIY AIO cube build, which I really enjoyed. I think they really are just convenient and you've got a solid build there... If you are interested, I documented my whole journey with the system. You might find some inspiration or learn of the pitfalls where I went wrong... https://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/brents-cube.81150/

WRT your filtration, I think if you go with biomedia, it helps to keep things in a basket type setup that you can remove all together easily for cleaning. That really helped me when it came to cleaning those difficult to reach chambers. Also, you'd probably want to add chemical filtration to the last chamber, not the first... It will allow for all the other forms of filtration to act on the water first before it gets to the GFO and carbon which will last longer before it is exhausted.

Good luck, I think this will be a great build!

Reaction score
Yip, this is the tank that inspired me! Truly awesome tank! And the new one is even more insane!

Top Bottom