Diving off of Cape Town

Reaction score
So I have been diving for quite a while now and I have been wondering if there was anything that is able to be collected or caught of off of the cape town coast. Advice on permits that are needed and the best spot, if any, to get fish or corals would be greatly appreciated.

I think the only fish and sea life you will find around Cape Town is a great white shark, crayfish and a fur seal or two and a lot of seawead. :whistling: That water is to cold for corals and the tropical fish and corals we keep in the aquariums.

Last edited:
24e2b8138a9299b74d3192a0b94a517a--shark-meme-shark-humor.jpg

Unless u wanting a cold water tank u not going to get anything in ur area. U can get tropical as far down as plett in the season though. U would need a collecting permit from the post office

The invert life is Amazing in CT waters. Starfish , nennies, nudi's
Imagine a little kelp forest tank . Would be amazing

Are there absolutely no invertebrates? I heard somewhere that there was some type of shrimp that you get down here that can survive in tropical water.

Glass shrimp, common in rock pools from berrtysbay eastwards, yes they survive in your tank for up to a year, but notadviseable

this last season was phenominal for the guys near Cape Town im not too sure of CT itself but there were a few reports of BETTER fish coming out down there than in East London, we lacked a little and we usually get the good stuff!

so if you dont look youll never know , id keep my eyes peeled from 1st nov onward... good luck

Why wouldn't you recommend it? @irie ivan

Unnatural and shortened lifespan because of temp.

The invert life is Amazing in CT waters. Starfish , nennies, nudi's
Imagine a little kelp forest tank . Would be amazing

Kelp is near impossible to keep alive because of flow requirements. Only for large public aquariums I'm afraid.

There are some interesting cold water creatures to keep, can always look for a tiny leopard catshark (Poroderma pantherinum, if you have a big enough tank) or marleyi butterfly. Then if you want to order more interesting coldwater there is always seadragons, Flame Boxfish (Anoplocapros lenticularis) or Chelmonops butterflies from Australia.

Some nice suggestions in this thread , just remember you will need a chiller if you decide to set up a cold water system. And if the current predictions for a hot summer is to be believed it will end up running 24/7 . A power hungry machine :whistling:

Last edited:
oh, ok, I have a tank lying around and it would have been cool to keep a crayfish in it or two, but a chiller is just too expensive for me:m24::m24:

External return pumps, LED lights, Vortech pumps with body outside.

Without a chiller that is what you need to look at. nothing that can add heat to the water.

Inverts like urchins are nice. But you need to feed them algae... A bit of a catch 22.

However, if you never add any livestock from other places in the world, only collect locally, you would be able to release them later and get another smaller younger urchin. But hen never ever any fish or corals other than locally collected. Forever.

No clowns...

Back
Top Bottom