Diving in the Transkei

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by dean, 6 Jun 2010.

1. dean

dean

Hey all... A few mates and I are planning a trip to Mdumbi in Transkei from the 19th to the 29th... Ten days of fun... As im from cape town and we dont have anything we can collect for our tanks here i thought i could catch something while im there. Ive never done it before and i dont know what i need.. Got the flippers and the snorkel i use for catching crayfish.. know i need a net but what type and what else will help me??? Going to use a cooler box to transport them back and as my car has climate control im going to keep the car temp at 25 on my way back. That should keep them alive i hope. Whats your opinion and has anyone transported fish so far?? Any help and insight will be appreciated..
    Something else... what should i look for while im there like where do the fish normally hide and how should i go about catching them...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maj

maj

battery powered airstone would defnitly help.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

And Dean - PLEASE remember that EACH member in your team needs a collection permit (you need to tick/pay for BOTH fish collection, as well as invertebrate collection) from the local post office. It's the blue form you need to complete. You also need this for snorkeling/diving in an MPA.....

Also - using 2 smaller (but deep) nets also seems to work well for the okes. I have also heard that people use traps for catching fish.

5. danimal

danimal

in terms of catching, you can either use two nets, a big one and a smaller one to try and 'trap' the fish, with one net all you will catch is blennies :lol:

another method that i have found works quite well is to use a cut-off coke botthel (the bottom half) and a 'scary stick', which is basically a stick with some strips of plastic or something similar tied to the end. the idea is to use the stick to try and herd fish into the bottle. it works really well when the fish is hiding in a hole ot under a rock, you can use the stick to block exits, get it out the hole, etc. it takes a bit of practice but i find it infinitely easier than using nets.

good luck!

6. maj

maj

also,what is vital to remember,is to bring us CPT guys some nice zoa's!
    Dont u agree Jacque;)

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

lol!
    D-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y! ;)

8. dean

dean Thread Starter

Hahaha.... Thanks for all the advice...going to buy the permit in jbay as the people in stellenbosch think im mad...as for the zoa's will bring some and let u guys know but remember this is going to be my first time and cant promise anything...HAHA

Recent Posts