dive/fishing spots from EL to Durban

dv8

Reaction score
I am planning a trip up the Wild coast and Natal South coast. I thought I weould start a thread to find out where the good dive spots are and where are good spots to catch fish/corals. I am considering going to coffee bay, possibly uvongo and am open to suggestions.

Also looking for backpacker/camping style accommodation. The places I know of are bomvu and coffee shack in coffee bay.

Time of year: early to mid december

yellowsands caravan park, 20 min from east london

This part of the years a variety of juvies - tons of tube feather duster worms - loose pieces of coral - just walk out of Ushaka and go right towards the harbour - you wont be dissapointed and just down from Gateway shopping centre at Umhlanga Beach always had luck there - just dont forget your permit (like me on my last trip and nearly got a R1500 fine)

East london : blue bend/ nahoon river, yellows sands, west ban tidal pools (be careful dangerous to go alone)

Transkei : umdumbi river/ umdumbi backpackers, coffee bay/ coffee shack (my mate owns it so i can sort you out with tel no's, presleys bay, mgazana river,umtata mouth (if you dare)

mdumbs is right up the road. take a baakie!!!! im going there in Dec for a night:)

Thanks leslie, I tried Coffee Shack, but they are full:( Have tried mdumbi, so hopefully they have availabiility. Is umdumbi easily accessible? And close to coffee bay? or is it better to stay in coffee bay itself?

you can also camp there its pretty cheap and quite a joll at the bar... umdumbi is a little further up and like 20-30min walk from the camp site to the river. you can actually see the river from the top of the hill where it is situated.. walk up along the river and dive the cliff faces on the left.. pretty dark water and loaded with some big johnny's but well worth the dive..

we going up on the 5th dec. camping is R50 a night

here is their number i have on my cell: 047 575 0437. Andre runs the show there. but remember it is the kei, dont expect answered call straight away. take Cash only. and tune Andre you want the Sea food Extravaganza for supper. you will CRY! buy crays and oysters from the locals. and please dont give locals money for nothing. u wont be helping at all:)

will leave u 1 or 2 dotty tangs:)

If u come to slumtown, i can show you around some spots. im lifeguarding in dec so ill be at a good spot.. hopefully

anyone here stayed at bomvu? as i have left booking till this late(and for december!!!) i guess i will take what i can get . as far as i can tell it's not too far from coffee shak.

if you walk out of bomvu you walk straight across the road into coffe shack.. everyone there parties at the coffe shack pub..

Back
Top Bottom