Dive Belt Required

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by chikaboo, 18 Sep 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey guys - since my last trip snorkling I found out I need a dive belt with some weights as my "factory fitted floaters" round my mid-section didn't allow me to go down and be there awhile inspecting the reef nicely so I need to purchase one of these belts! Anyone one know where I can puchase this and going prices on them? Thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

LOL Chicka...I also have this problem..for some reason I dont sink ! Ask Dallas or Jacques..they are big into scuba....or ak scuba ..who knows

4. aslam

aslam

Hello Chika,planning on doing some diving soon.You can try the Kingfisher in Durb's or pm Mekaeel,he should point you in the right direction.

5. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thanx guys - Aslam sorry dude I meant to pm you awhile back but old age catching up dude - your waver is running well in fact better than mine - thanx for a great deal man really appreciate it!

6. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

While you online at this ridiculous hour let me bump this thread for you Mek - maybe you can help?

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Chika. Try Kingfisher in Hunter Street. I get all my dive equipment there. Speak to Wayne,Guy, Peter, any of the ladies at the cashier or Praboo, you will get yourself a decent discount if you mention my name. ;)

8. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Cool thanks - will get one end of Oct - MASA meeting should be last Thursday next month or think will change - want to start booking place to stay

9. lIghty

lIghty

Sportmans Warehouse has the type with the "new"cylinder type weights. I'm happy with mine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thanx lIghty will check them out as well! Scuba told me you know of a guy close to your home with bargain prices on heaters - will give you a buzz when closer to end of October - maybe have to just buy some spare and keep them!

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Chikaboo - I see you have gotten some answers. You can try ANY dive-shop mate. I know there's a dive shop right at/in the Ushaka complex..... they too will have a dive belt with weights for you :)

12. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thankx Jacquesb - just dont know anything about what to look for or should I say how to go about buying one of these - is it trial and error in the water or is there a body mass to weightbelt ratio - kinda formula ? Not taking advantage of everyones good nature but I trust your'lls advice more than some salesman selling me something that I dont need!

13. jacquesb

Nah Chika - just ask the okes at the dives shop. I weigh +-112kg. I have about +-40% fat ratio. And I dive with 8kg's of lead weights.....
    So - perhaps you can determine somehow from this what weights you need?

14. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Cool thanx everyone so far - maybe I have to do something about my midsection builtin floaters!

15. jacquesb

Don't worry about YOUR "midsection builtin floaters"........ believe me - mine is "bigger than yours" ;) LOL!!!!!!!!!!

16. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

I hope more guys will join us end of October so far Stressed Eric and I are on for a snorkel then - the more the merrier! Will open a new thread end of this month - plenty of notice!

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

The shop at Ushaka is way too expensive Jacques. Trust me, visit Kingfisher as they cater for Spearfishing aswell.

18. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok now i'm getting worried - do I have to scrimp on my groceries for this - how much do I have to budget for the belt guys - you know I'm into marines - which means NO FLOATING CASH lying around he he he

19. jacquesb

LOL! OK cool Mekaeel. I was not aware at all.... Sorry. BUT, there's 2 dive "shops" at Ushake - one on the inside of the complex, and the other one on the outside - are both of them equally expensive?
    Or are they still part of the same shop?

The Dive belts themselves are not TOO expensive. It is the lead weights that are BLOODY expensive.

lIghty - you are referring to "Bright Weights". The "cylinders" come in 500 grams - so, you can "fine tune" your bouyancy a LOT better..... My wife dive's with a set of Bright weights. Mine is still the "old lead" type.....

The "old type" belt costs around R80. Each of the 1kg lead weights costs around R40 to R50 each these days.... I still paid R20 per 1 kg lead weight a few years back.

20. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thanx - I guess buying this online is out of the question then I have to try this out at a shop - found this cool shop divetek.co.za but will for go in tryouts end of October

Recent Posts