Disturbing Reefkeeping Trends

My fiance has a aiptasia farm. I finally had to tell him I wasn't going to marry a farmer. It's now a work in progress. :lol:

Haha. I can beat that. My husband thinks green hair algae is "pretty" because it "looks like grass."

@jacoc and Dlaria, I don't think people rely on rep power as much as you might think. Whenever I've posted on a website that had such things, the only way I considered it would be to think "ok, this person is obviously popular here, so if I disagree with him/her I should probably make sure I don't sound like a douche." Of course, that's not ideal either. I mean, ideally, it shouldn't really matter what rep power a person has. It's what the person is saying that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RiaanP ... Please learn why people put words in capitals... It is called EMPHASIS... Go and re-read the first part you quoted... Your examples are about big things but if you think long hard and if you're honest with yourself, you have also gone against advice and bumped your own head (don't just think reefkeeping, think LIFE)... This is a human trait and YES, YOU have also done this...

In the second quote, I did not say advice here was null and void (yes, I once said this on another thread but again, read in context)... I was trying to make the point that each tank is unique and YOUR advice did not work for ME just like MY advice might not work for YOU... So yes, in THIS case the advice I have received here was null and void... P.S. I have NEVER done an 80% water change.

Again, you are only an expert of YOUR tank, just like I'm an expert of MINE...

When it comes to the Conficious quote, I'm here to have MY questions answered, NOT to have some wannabe expert give me the answer to his/her questions...

P.P.S. My tank move went off without a hitch... I took it to a friend of mine specifically because all the 'professional reefers' on here would have done things their way and probably killed all my LS that like things my way... :)

Thank you Alan for tha post. I whole hartedly agree with you. I.ve been doing this for almost 20 years now and find it frustrating to see how people go about reefing. A successful tank should be rated after 5 or more years. There have been loads of reefers in Bloem, but I think in the long run it will still be just me and Hennie :), hopefully the community will grow.

.now 5 guy’s agree with this and your reps go up
agrees given on useless posts, like on a joke for example gets deleted. So yes, system is not flawless, but at least its something. There are REAL experts in certain fields like fish health with post count under 100. Others with high post counts but who comment "nice setup" "oh" "ah" on immature setups with wrong lights and anemones.

But as somebody else commented a while back, your are only an experienced reefer when your oldest fish is over 2 years in your tank. Now that is a good indication.

So how do I know if I can follow somebody's advice. Check his latest pictures of his own setup.

I agree with @Alan that people do crazy things BUT I also disagree with some things (sorry but someone has to be the voice of reason)... I have dedicated my life to nature (including a five year degree in nature conservation [equivalent to a degree in zoology, botany and ecology]) and I can with all honesty tell you that when it comes to nature (including in a box) NOBODY is an expert... We are ALL CONSTANTLY learning... If you think otherwise, you are more arrogant than the people referred to in this thread... You might be an expert in YOUR tank but that does not mean it will work for anybody else... I have not done ANYTHING that was advised to me on this site and my livestock are thriving... I dare anybody here to come to my house and prove otherwise... (I am not running ANY filtration other than filter floss and LR, I use NSW from CT, my params are the same as NSW which are GROSSLY different from MASA's 'Ideal Water Parameters' and guess what? My livestock LOVE it... (really, come see for yourself)

I hate to say this to all you 'gods of reefkeeping' but the tank you consider to be the most difficult (my 25l) is easier than my 400l bathwater EVER was...

I'm NOT saying @Alan is wrong... All I'm saying is that you all need to realize that is is human nature to have to bump your own head regardless WHO tells you otherwise and that YOU ARE NOT EXPERTS AND NOBODY IS... GET OVER YOURSELVES...

Having said this, it is STUPID keeping 5-10 tangs in a nano or keeping a nennie if you don't know what you're doing... DO RESEARCH BUT DO NOT TAKE HUMAS WORDS AS GOSPEL...

I saw the challenge & couldn't resist it so here we go!
You said I dare you so by saying that you offering your place for the next meet, how about either next weekend or the following 1? That should be more than enough time to make the reef god's tank look perfect. Just pm me your details & I'll notify the reef junkies then we all can see the reef gods 25l. Lol we'll have to take turns to see this pristine little 25l, cool I can't wait.

BTW where about do you collect NSW? Another thing where does conservation fit in if you're an English teacher? Slightly confused with that 1, study 5yrs in conservation to become an English teacher. EISH where's this country going 2 ***.

whew.. good debate going on.. constructive...

my 2c

i have been doing this for many years, perhaps for longer than even most of the members on here.. i am not a God.. i am a keen learner... hence my participation on this forum...

yes i have done many things in the early days that was considered not to be the norm (EG: i have run nothing in my sump for filtration other than a big skimmer and coupled that with large frequent waterchanges since i was 16.. i am now 33)..

back then people looked at me funny yet i had the success evident by my tank which was considered from the future (for our small town) to show for it..even with a jebo skimmer.... today that very futuristic look is considered the ordinary..

so while i have always been for trying new things i must stress that you should at least have a back up plan.. if we dont try new things we will never grow withing the hobby..

BUT

We need to be cautious of what we transfer onto newbies.. and when we post here we are backing the advice given if nothing is said about "unproven experimental methods".

Its difficult to accuratley take info from people.. in the past post counts were considered to be an indication of knowledge but you will see this is not true.. i know of many guys on this forum with less than 200 posts but are a fountain of knowledge and experience.. some guys (like me) are just more outspoken. :)

We have tried to implement an "thanks" "agree" system to try assist in getting more awareness and recognition to the guys who are posting good relevant content to what is being asked, but this is being abused.. IMO or not accuratley / properly implemented..

My words to you are:

look at the persons system before you take their advice.. i go back and even look through some of the threads to check consistency of advice given.. age of the system, was it an install or a self thought out system.. its very easy to set up a good looking tank today but where is the history?

These things may be small but like any foundation is very important...

The internet is both an alie and a curse.. it can be too much information for someone who isnt ready for it.. and it is sometimes better to ease a person into the hobby with limited info..

I dont blame anyone for not following advise given here or on any forum wholehartedly, but it is solid proven info.. and it will help any newbie wanting to grow by the rules perfectly..

Last edited:
@MistaOrange ...

First, you ARE welcome to come over and look at my tank but limiting factors will not just be the size of my tank but the size of my apartment... Everyone that will fit in the apartment will be able to look at the tank at once... If you feel that a big tank is important then good luck bud... :) You will have to wait a bit though because I am currently on honeymoon... No time needed to get the tank 'ready' just check out my thread...

Next, I never claimed to be a tank 'god' like certain other people here that get upset when people ridicule their advice (I won't mention any names or call people stupid or anything)...

And last but not least, nature conservation is mainly government run and they did not really employ white boys my age when I finished my degree so I did another degree in primary school education... Any questions?

Well i have very little experience. I have no complete new tank yet (even though I cycled the last one for three months without ever adding anything other than rock and araganite and three locally caught fish because I want to do things the right way) BUT am very eager to learn and accept advice. My intentions are and will always be that of a constructive nature. I accept that they may not always be seen to be, because we don't know one another and things can be read by ten different people and be interpreted in ten different ways. However as a reletively "new comer" to MASA - 6 months or so now, I can share my own personal "disturbing trend." That is the trend of non constructive, pointless posts. This is not the first amazing and informative post ruined by a few. I was always taught that "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything" and its always stood me in good stead. If you have a personal attack or strongly disagree with someone then take it up with them personally through PM unless its just plain bad advice. No one else needs to or really wants to read it otherwise. We're all here to learn and share an amazing interest. Many are very successful businessmen or women, spouses and/or parents so why should we act with any less restraint or any more disrespect than we would when we're not hiding behind a million miles of internet cable? We're all friends and really an extended family here guys. Thanks Alan for a great thread and "thank you" to all of you "guru's" as I call you, for the absolutely, uncomprehensibly valuable advice you've assisted me with up until now.

Last edited:
We're all friends and really an extended family here guys.
Thanks Gavster, but as with any large group of friends and extended families you are always going to have people who have issues in life for what ever reason.

gavster there is no specific righr way just many practices that have worked or not worked for some guys .the best lessons are the ones we teach ourselves. for example why do we acclimatise fish carefully but if they get sich we drop them in a freshwater bath for a few minutes and drop them straight back into salt water with the intenton of killing parasites and saving the fish. works for me!

Maybe we can also focus on the validity of advice given, rather than the credibility of individual posters. As has been correctly pointed out, even the experts have areas of expertise and some foggy areas. For example. I can tell you anything you need to know to build a successfull algae scrubber, but haven't the faintest idea about carbon dosing.

Just as an idea, you could change the "agree with" button to a "check this advice" button. It should obviously remain anonymous. When anyone reading the thread comes across this, they can either correct the advice, or confirm that it is indeed correct. That would put the beginners mind at ease that he/she can follow this advice. Maybe the flag could even come up on the home page, so as to get prompt and varied response?

Say a nub buys a couple of nice looking & healthy frags from a fellow hobbiest & also gets 1 or 2 freebies which we always do here we also advise the nub how to care for them. A few days pass & the nub goes to the lfs & runs the hobbiest down also saying the frags he gave look shit & most of them died he doesn't know what he's doing.
That's one kak attitude & also disrespectful to that hobbiest as he's been reefing successfully for some years which is great buddy & always helping anyone & everyone, he's also 1 of the mods. As soon as a nub carries on like a know it all, it makes me not wanting to help him ever. Some of us try to help only to get kicked in the teeth by a know it all tool. Also one of the main reasons why I haven't been on masa much. ***. Sorry fellow reefers I've had it with helping stupid tools like that. I've learned a hell of a lot here on masa thank you & peace be thy journey & happy reefing.

Phew, took me long to read through this thread.

22years ago I wanted to learn to play the guitar.
It took me a long time to figure certain stuff out – it was frustrating at times, but also very rewarding in the end.
Nowadays you can access and learn all of it in a very short time – even look at video tutorials. Some of it is good, some of it is bad…
The journey has changed and comes with new pros and cons.
If it took me a year to learn Eddie van Halen’s solo in ‘ Beat It’, Tremayn can now learn it in a month…:)(sorry Tremayn, substitute “Beat It” for any Metal song)

Some people want to learn, others want to be heard, some have very big egos, some know how to be diplomatic.
They all come together here.

In the end, the price you have to pay for having a vast amount of info available, is that you need to filter it.
And maybe the journey is not as satisfying as it was when you had to figure it all out on your own.

Kinda lost my train of thought now….

I agree with everyone in this thread, even the ones who don’t agree with each other!
All have valid points if you read between the emotions.
And since I have to sit in the office at this time on a Friday instead of diving or surfing somewhere, posting on masa sure beats doing any work.

Say a nub buys a couple of nice looking & healthy frags from a fellow hobbiest & also gets 1 or 2 freebies which we always do here we also advise the nub how to care for them. A few days pass & the nub goes to the lfs & runs the hobbiest down also saying the frags he gave look shit & most of them died he doesn't know what he's doing.
That's one kak attitude & also disrespectful to that hobbiest as he's been reefing successfully for some years which is great buddy & always helping anyone & everyone, he's also 1 of the mods. As soon as a nub carries on like a know it all, it makes me not wanting to help him ever. Some of us try to help only to get kicked in the teeth by a know it all tool. Also one of the main reasons why I haven't been on masa much. ***. Sorry fellow reefers I've had it with helping stupid tools like that. I've learned a hell of a lot here on masa thank you & peace be thy journey & happy reefing.

Sounds like goodbye is in order...

Sad that we can't all voice our opinions and have a healthy debate like what forums are meant for...

Back
Top Bottom