Dislodging an anemone

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Reef Maniac, 24 May 2009.

1. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Brenda,

Could you please comment on what, in your experience, are the easiest / best methods to dislodge an anemone's foot from where it is sitting. In my experience *most* anemones are injured to some extent by careless and/or inexperienced people (especially LFS employees) just pulling them off the rock or glass where they are stuck.

I have found that one of the easiest ways of dislodging an anemone stuck to the glass side of a tank is to stop all water movement, and to then hold a large piece of ice to the outside of the glass directly below the foot. After a few minutes to half an hour of this, it will normally retract it's foot somewhat, allowing one to get a finger or two below the foot and to then slowly pry it off the glass. Unfortunately, I'm at a loss on how to remove it from a rock, except to remove the rock from the tank, which is not possible in many cases.

I don't want to remove my nennie at the moment, just asking the question so everyone can learn for the future...

Thanks,
    Hennie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ml

ml

I foud if you rub softly at its base the botem mushel will contrack and you can remove them easily. I hope this helps you hennie

Morne

4. Anemone

Anemone

Very good question Hennie!!

An anemone should never be “pulled” off of a rock or glass. If someone is purchasing the anemone from the LFS that is on a rock, I recommend purchasing the rock also. If the employee at the LFS insists on pulling it off of the rock or glass, don’t purchase the anemone.

When the anemones are on the glass, I just use my fingernail to get them off. Some people use old credit cards or something similar. I’m too afraid that I will slip with the credit card. With my fingers I have better control. You do have to be careful that you do not get stung. You may want to get some medical gloves and tear off the tip of one or two of the fingers. This will at least protect most of your hand. I have injured an anemone with this method. However, this anemone was in an incredibly difficult place to reach and the attached hood was in my way (and couldn’t be removed). This anemone (a BTA) was very healthy before the injury and made a complete recovery, giving me two anemones a day later.

The ice method that you explained is also a good method to use.

An anemone with its foot firmly attached to a rock is the most difficult. I recommend changing the flow to see if you can get it to move on its own. You can add a power head to the tank to increase the flow, but you will need to watch it so that the anemone doesn’t get injured. You don’t want to blast the anemone, but you do want to get it irritated a bit. Decreasing the flow may also get the anemone to move on its own. If you can, place some ceramic tile (rough side up) next to the anemone. If it moves it may grab a hold of the tile.

Leaving the lights off for a day may also get the anemone to move. Keep in mind; it may end up moving to a less desirable place when you are not around.

If this doesn’t work, you can put some cold water in a bag and lightly place on the foot. You need to be careful that you are not touching the foot with the corners of the bag and injure the anemone. This method is not quick and easy. You will need to continually change the water in the bag.

If you start to see part of the foot release from the rock, you can use a turkey baster to flush water underneath the foot to try to get it to completely release.

5. crispin

crispin

hmmmm nice question and great advice, thanks :)

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Awesome question - many thanks Hennie!

7. lIghty

lIghty

perhaps a pipe from the chiller output?

8. zee

zee

Yip I used the old debit card method on glass however getting it off the rocks is abit risky.Must admit I tried as it was effecting my other corals but was too afraid to continue.the next day it moved to another rock, it probably felt in danger.Thanks for advice anemone!

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

stupind question perhaps and just out of interest, can one use ice IN the tank to get a nennie to release its hold on a rock ?

10. zee

zee

Not sure how long you able to use one cube ice and the tank temperature would melt it.

11. Anemone

Anemone

Thats is a good idea. I've never had a chiller though.

12. Anemone

Anemone

Some have used the ice cube directly on the foot. I'm afraid that it will be too cold and be damaging to the anemone.

13. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Hennie very good question

14. Jaak

Jaak

Good question Hennie, Great reply Brenda!!:thumbup:

Recent Posts