Discount From Lfs's

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by AndrévN, 4 Nov 2009.

1. AndrévN

AndrévN

IS IT TRULY A SIN OR AGAINST THE LAW TO GET A DISCOUNT ON HARDWARE FROM YOUR LFS.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH GETTING DISCOUNTS ON HARDWARE FROM YOUR LOCAL FISH SHOP, OR ON ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER. I MEAN TO CLOSE A DEAL WE ALL HAVE TO SACTRIFICE.

WHY WOULD SOME LFS'S TRY AND END THE DISCOUNTS WE GET FROM OTHER SHOPS BY PHONING THE MAIN SUPPLIERS TRYING TO CLOSE ACCOUNTS :nono: " I MEAN COMMON GROW UP ". ARENT WE AS PAYING CUSTOMERS ALL INTERESTED IN SAVING SOME " TOM " AND IT IS ALWAYS NICE TO SCORE SOMETHING SO YOU HAVE MORE TO SPEND ON THE NICE TO HAVES.

WOULDN'T WE ALL WANT TO SEE SOME COMPETITION, SO WE AS CONSUMERS CAN BENEFIT. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE ORDER AMOUNTS ARE HUGE.

GIVE YOUR INPUT AND LETS SEE. MAYBE WE SHOULD START SOMETHING WHERE WE AS LOYAL PAYING CUSTOMERS JUST SANCTION A LFS FOR 4 OR MAYBE 8 WEEKS AND THEN SEE WHO WINS. I DONT THINK A LFS CAN SURVIVE A LOSS FOR SUCH A LONG PERIOD AND THUS WHILE NEW STOCKS ARRIVE.

IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE WHO WILL DO A " LEKKER " TOY-TOY LIKE THE TAXI'S WITH PETROL, OR OTHERS WITH CHECKERS :thumbup: WITH US THAT ARE FED UP WITH ALL THESE HIGH PRICES AND COMPLAINING LFS OWNERS WHEN WE DO GET DISCOUNTS FROM OUR LOYAL LFS. ;)

SO PLEASE YOUR INPUTS WILL HELP US ALL. :biggrin:

WHO WOULDN'T LIKE TO GET DISCOUNTS FROM THE LFS THEY SUPPORT ?. :razz:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carl

Carl

Dear Max

Very noble attempt, but no.

You are a tradesman by profession as well and need to cost your services to cover your cost and make a profit at the end of the day. Do you discount your services and to what extent??

A lfs is a business with a very high risk attatched to it...live stock.... some of that risk is made up by the sale of hardware but I do not see any LFS owner having a lavished lifestyle, but running 6 to 7 days per week..

That costs money my friend..should you boikot...shops close down...and we are back in the position like 5 years ago where there is only 5 shops in the entire Gauteng stocking dry good and marines..

Regards

Carl

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i think he ment that some lfs offered items at a discounted price, and other lfs saw this and complained to the supplier because of the lower price....

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

while your intentions may be noble, as Carl say, it will not work.

We may think most marine tank owners are on MASA or SARK but the reality in my opinion is that less than 10% are .... and a 10% dent in their trade would make no difference ......... and if it did make a difference shops would close down and prices would sky rocket

6. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

THAT IS WHAT I MEANT, THE ONE GIVES DISCOUNT ON HARDWARE AND THE OTHER ONE COMPLAINS. :thumbup:

7. Falcon

Falcon

hmm yes and no max....there is a problem you see the LFS dont make a huge profit as they have a base selling price ON ADVERTISING if your lfs wants to give you say R200 off an item because you bought R20 000 worth of fish from you then thats his right but i wouldnt go around shouting it out everywhere,he done you a personal favour so keep it personal.

It may seem unfair but awhile ago LFS were cutting prices like crazy and making like 10% on an item,this will encourage monopolies because big lfs can still make money due to the quantities they sell but the smaller guys loose out and face closing down even!

I know there is minimum recommended selling prices but thts to protect the smaller guys,most lfs do give their loyal customers a discount on hardware wether it be a big or small lfs.

like carl says,do you want a few big guys to be the only ones dominating and dictating?

i used to sell marine hardware a while back and luckily the supplier does not give bigger crazy discounts to the big LFS for a small LFS trying to make a living this sytem is very fair IMHO.

8. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

So in short you would rather pay the extra R1000, instead of spending it in the same shop on LS.

9. Renannchen

Renannchen

If the one shop want to give discount then let him do it, its his own profit that he is cutting..

10. Falcon

Falcon

Then dont go tell those complaining ones that your local fish store done you a favour lol i know i own a wholesale hardware right now and my competitors complain to my suppliers when i give a good customer a good price but the fact is i would not give that price to anyone besides THAT PARTICULAR good customer(even if its at cost sometimes) so i would not like it if the customer encourages other wholesalers to cut my prices based on this.

makes sense?lol its just the bussiness world you cant win,because if you do then someone else looses...no point cutting throats.

11. Falcon

Falcon

max if you get R1000 discount then its because HE KNOWS YOURE GONNA SPEND IT AGAIN IN HIS SHOP,Dont go tell the other lfs lol you causing grief for him for nothing as the other lfs will start accusing the wholesaler that your LFS is paying lower prices etc but in fact he just done you a favour and cut his own profit for you.

12. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Yes but if your LFS you support gives you a discount, why should other shops complain. If you spend a nice R50k on a new setup and the owner gives you 10% for getting the order that should not be seen as illegal. I am not talking about monopoly here, a nice clean deal. And this would not be all the time, but on the discretion of the LFS you support.

Example: Moolis brings in R250k of Prodiblio, for his investment he has to make some good tom. But he gives 10 or 15% to his customers witch is fair as he paid the stuff in advance and needs the money returned and no one is complaining for getting the discounts cause we score big time. But on the other hand would it be fair of the usual importer to go and stop him from importing direct for the sake of keeping the price on R600 instead of R550. Common its a question of give and take, some of us spend thousands a month on this hobby getting something back should not be seen as closing a shop down. Its like loyalty points, the more you spend the less you pay. Whats wrong with that.

No one takes on PET MASTERS (cause they are huge) for selling the hardware almost at cost (and we dont complain as consumers, we score all the way), why should our poor LFS owners get nailed for trying out a discount scheme to get the customers to support them instead. :nono:

13. Falcon

Falcon

because the lfs who complained is a pain in the a**!:p

i know what you mean but i guess its a controversial subject and i dont really take a side in this one i'm neutral.sometimes its right and at other times its not.(maybe because i was once a hardware retailer and now i'm a consumer)that said i have to admit i dont mind buying from my LFS here in vereeniging as his markups are not very high(he even shows me invoices,i can still buy direct but why bother with so little diff in price,only 2nd hand has big price diff).LFS need to make a living so the consumer cant always win either or else why have a business?

BUT I STILL MAINTAIN YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE GONE AROUND TELLING THE OTHER LFS of the discount you got.period.:whistling:

14. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

My point exactly. Our LFS does us some favours but to get more discount we run around with the quote trying to get it beat. **** that is totally rediculous i do agree 500%. Support your shop, get the discount and send your friends. Good clean business buddy. I wont loose a customer for 10% would you ? :thumbup:

15. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Yebo yes. We want the discount and go and show it off, totally wrong.

Ill take sides cause it aint fair trying to close other shops accounts for giving discounts at the owners discretion just like other shops do. :1:

16. Falcon

Falcon

closing other peoples accounts is bull i agree!!!some lfs just have no morales they get a bit greedy...

IN THE HARDWARE WORLD IF I CUT ANOTHER GUYS PRICES HE CAN GO FLY LOL NOBODY IS CLOSING MY ACCOUNT!

17. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree, i dont see why one cant give discount, and if they do or dont its their perogative, surely regular loyal buyers get? and the LFS that complain i will not support...

i am in the service and retail products, and i discount my clients based on the job and or length of time being a client...

18. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

whats worse is that suppliers let themselves be bullied or allow that to happen, yes one needs to keep clients happy, but at what cost of ethics and business morality

19. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Guys this is a niche market and not a huge market. skimmers, wave makers, calcium reactors and all other types of equipment are not being sold everyday you buy it once maybe every 2 years and then all of us want to buy the second hand one. It makes sense to regulate the market so that everyone has a fair chance of staying in the game.

If you got the discount good and well on the pet shop, why did u go and try to get the item cheaper?

20. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

you guys are missing the point.....

if a sponsor were to advertise a special on certain products, an other sponsor complains to the supplier because of the low prices........

21. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Yes dallasg thanks for the input. We all wanna make profit as business owners, but why try and close down another shop cause he gave a discount to his loyal paying customer. What is wrong - when we do get the discount run around with the quote showing other shops thats the biggest concern regarding this matter.

Business ethics i dont know. If one starts to think youre making to much money you need to work for a boss or retire. Look at all of us. We all sometimes started as newbies and got sucked dry cause this can only be done to us once, cause your a newbie. ;) I got sucked for R80k and believe me their was not much to show for it, i could have had a nice complete system with everything for that money. But still when i go to the same shop today the tides has changed so did the discounts.

The question is, is it illegal to give a customer a discount on goods to make it more affordable for us and make sure the customer returns. But dont go crying to everybody if your not the LFS that didnt do the deal. I STAND MY GROUND I WILL NOT SUPPORT SUCH SHOPS AT ALL, NO MATTER HOW LITTLE THEY LOOSE - ITS A QUESTION OF ETHICS IN THAT CASE TO ME.

Recent Posts