Urgent help needed Disaster Struck....Power....anenome

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by deang, 5 May 2010.

1. deang

deang

Hi lads,
    Huge disaster struck this weekend.
    Was away over the weekend, and my power tripped.....

Needless to say, arrived back, to find all but 5 of my fish dead (the alive ones were shivering).

My snails survived, so too did my one fire shrimp (one died), damsel, 2 clowns, guinea fowl wrasse and my Copperband.

My ananamae frecked.... initially couldn't find it, but thought it had disintergrated. Oh well it hadn't and last nigh, it floated (like jelly) to the top, got stuck in my overflow and stank.
    What a mission to get it out - tank stinks.

Very happy my Copperband survived, but I did lose an Idol, Clown surgeon, dottybacks, gobies, keyhole butterfly fish, boxer shrimps)

The 5 fish were still alive as of this morning, but wondered whether my water had been poisoned and if it has, what do I do?

Help please.....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

phew thats quite a list of losses, so sorry to hear:(

the death in the tank will most likley cause large ammonia spikes and a loss of disolved oxygen. the fish you still have are in great danger and you really need to pay close attention to them as much as you can.

increased oxygen (gaseous exchange in particular) will help greatly, so angle some of your power heads towards the surface so the top gets agitated.

I would reccomend large water changes (around 30% at a time) and try have the water the same temp as the tank by putting a heater in the drum as you mix it.

I assume all the death you can see has been removed?

are you using carbon, if not i would certainly advise it for a few weeks.

are you testing water parameters and if so what are the readings and which kits do you use?

4. crispin

crispin

is it a fish only tank or do you have corals too?

do you have a scrubber?

5. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

jeez Dean that is very bad news man:( i think a good place to start is to do a big water change.try get everything out that is dead.maybe the gurus can give you some advice on dosing something to the system that will help stabelize it.the fish that survived are they eating? that would be a good sighn;)
    i hope you get everything sorted.

6. Trev

Trev

Check all your parameters for obvious reasons but more importantly so that you are able to measure what changes are effected by the measures you take.

My advise find a reefer close to you have him house your fish. Then let you tand still ( no flow anywhere ) for an hour after the hour vacume your substrate while doing a big water change like 80% big. You will have to go through a cycle again and when the cycle is complete then you can bring your fish back one a week.

Sorry for your losses

Trev

7. deang

deang Thread Starter

re: tank failure

Ok - have done a partial water change - used same temp water. Probably only manged to change 10%, as I was out of salt. Will have to wait until weekend to do anything more drastic.

I had some corals in there too.
    Zoa's have died
    Hammerhead coral is very happy
    Star polops are happy
    Blue Mushroom corals are happy
    Other corals dead....

Clowns still look happy.
    Yellow tailed damsel has become very shy (almost looks retarded)
    Copperband is still happy (believe it or not)
    Fire shrimp for now looks happy.
    Hermit crabs are both happy
    Snails - all happy

My sense of humour - not so happy....
    My wallet - going to look a little empty after this episode.....

8. PeterL

PeterL

The alternate is to buy salt water mixed - not sure what you would pay around the Sandton area but out east I am being hit R65/25L "pre-mixed". It is a cheaper for the very short term than buying salt and mixing.

The very infortunate thing is going away for a week-end or what ever time frame is to ensure you have someone who can keep an eye on your system and keep stable by your telephonic advice until your return. Like this power failure, a family member or trustworthy friend could have put the power back on for you in your absence and prevented much of the losses experience.

I am sorry to hear about the loss, it doesn't help dwelling on the bad either...let's focus on getting running properly again and I hope you come right soon.

9. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Eish, sorry to hear.
    Looks like a 12V/UPS main pump back up system is mandatory these days

Last edited: 5 May 2010
  10. PeterL

PeterL

That makes me think of my system, the UPS I have is a little small but if I put only the return pump from my DSB onto the UP, it should run for some time actually. my system overflows back to the DSB so at least I will maintain filtration.

In his case where the power was out for a few days, there is really little you can put in plce to cover such instances, short of an auto-start generator installation.

11. Mouse

Mouse

Hey DeanG

I'm in Sandton too, so if you need some help, feel free to holler! You're more than welcome to house your corals in my tank (I'd say fish too, but I'm not sure we'd ever get them out of my tank once they went in - too many hidey holes - your choice though).

You're also welcome to bum some salt if you need, not sure waiting for the weekend is all too good an idea...? Or as Zombie says, you can buy ready made but it's a case of getting to the pet shop during the week....

12. colbar

colbar

Dean sorry about your loss. These power failures are a damn nightmare. We have a QT that you are very welcome to use (it's running, but empty at present.) Cannot keep the corals in there as we used copper ages ago, but wouldnt like to take a chance.
    Also we have some salt available for you if you need it. Will pm you details.

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Aaaarrggghhh, run GAC filtration aggressively for the next few days will help lower the DOC'c and help clear the water.

14. lIghty

lIghty

Sorry for the loss, some good advise given for now.

Some advise for the future:

1- I assume you have a "linked" alarm system - Ask the control room to call you after they receive a mains failure (Tell them to call even if area failure, otherwise they call if the neigbourhood is out, this won't help!)

2 - Have your own device to SMS you. PM me for more details if you want.

3 - 12V return pump with ATS.

There many more solutions, just need to find what works for you.

15. colbar

colbar

What I meant to say is the QT is running and has no inhabitants in it. So you are more than welcome to bring your fish here until things have settled in your tank.

16. deang

deang Thread Starter

Hi Lads,
    Thanks for all your generous advise and support.
    All appears to be fine in the "tank".
    Water has cleared, have done partial water change. Managed to get the old neni fragments out as well as all the other dead fish/corals/shrimps etc.
    Am currently filtering water through one of those "yellow dust clothes" it's catching all the cr@p adn appears to be working.
    Chaps are all feeding again.... yay!

17. seank

seank

Sorry to hear dude.

Recent Posts