Disaster has struck....help!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mathewis, 19 Aug 2008.

1. Mathewis

Mathewis

Hey guys,

I have had some terrible luck. I swopped my Juwel nano for a fellow members JBJ nano. Stupid me decided to keep the aragonite sand bottom as i thought this would help skip a mini cycle(dont know why I thought this..). I used my old water from my Juwel. Saturday was the swopped day. Everything was fine on Sunday. Last night I come home and all 5 my fish are dead. My corals and clam look like shit. I did ad seachem stability with a water change monday morning. I also added Seachem Vitalilty & Reef plus Sunday night.

I have moved all the live stock & about 6 kg's LR to my new cube's sump. This tank is still cycling. My boxer shrimp, hermits and turbo snails survived but they aren't very mobile.

So what could have caused all this shit and what can I do to save these little guys & my corals(all are softies)?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Gees, sorry to hear that dude...

I did a swop over like that with old water and sand and all was fine...

Maybe you over stepped the oxygen demand?

Did you test all the water parameters? Check for an amonium spike or nitire spike. If they high then you know it was the swop over. Maybe something was rotting under the sand or something... If not there must have been some other contaminant.

Run carbon and do frequent water changes now to revive the survivors.

4. Mathewis

Mathewis Thread Starter

Thanx will try that.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Mathewis - LappiesReef gave you good advice there. Sorry to hear about your losses. It is never good to hear about life-stock dying. Unfortunately, this happens.
    The first thing you should DEFINITELY do, is measure all you water's parameters (salinity/SG, pH, temp, ammonia, niitrite, nitrates, calcium, phosphates, etc....). This is to know what you are up against.
    Secondly, DEFINITELY do water changes with new fresh salt-water. Do, ie, 30% water changes over a period of 5 days - that is, 20 to 30% per day...... This will give the rest of the life-stock the biggest chance of survival.

The new tank - how much different is the lighting? It could also possibly be that your life stock might be suffering from lighting shock - IF the lighting is FAR stronger than what the life-stock is/was used to.....

6. Mathewis

Mathewis Thread Starter

Ok what I did was remove them now from the JBJ nano and placed them in my Cube that I only started a week ago. Looks like some life is returning. I have shut down the contaminated JBJ. So no need to do the continous water changes in the cube as this is not the source of the problem. Will do all the tests on my new cube and see if everything is stable. I did add some seachem stability to the cube.

7. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

hey man sorry to hear about the bad news, if you need any help give me a call,

you can put your livestock in my tank if you see that they are doing a bit bad.

8. Mathewis

Mathewis Thread Starter

looks like my clam has recovered. My turbo snails still look a bit shocked. I think they will survive now. But thx lanzo! Dont have any fish to loose anymore...

9. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

shot mathewis;)

10. Mathewis

Mathewis Thread Starter

One funny thing I have just noticed is pieces of my bristle stars legs are breaking off? Is this because of stress?

11. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

that can be due to stress and high nitrates

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

unfortunately yes, Normally if this happens, he has been attacked or is dying :(

13. Mathewis

Mathewis Thread Starter

hope he makes it....

14. geoffrey

geoffrey

hey bud. hope your stuff gets sorted, if u need, i've got a mother size sump to put stuff in so don't be shy to give a shout.

cool!:thumbup:

15. Mathewis

Mathewis Thread Starter

Thanx for the offer Geoffery!:thumbup: But I think the survivors will be ok.

Recent Posts