Disappearing Lyretail anthias

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by PieterJNR, 20 Apr 2012.

1. PieterJNR

PieterJNR

I just want to know if someone can explain to me how it is possible for a fish to disappear
    because i had 3 anthias one male and two females and one now of my females is gone

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mytank

mytank

Over flow, into sump, munched by skimmer? Or in dt preditors like mantas shrimp or crabs? Or it could of just died and your cuc is efficent :)

Sent from my SGH-i917R Windows Phone 7.5 using Board Express

4. PieterJNR

PieterJNR Thread Starter

now overflow no sump cant be skimmer cause it is a hang-on and could you plz explain cuc

5. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

If you fish was sick, or weak, it could have died of its own accord, and your clean up crew could have emptied the tank of any evidence during the night, before you had time to realise the fish died.

You checked around the tank to confirm that she did not perhaps jump?

6. PieterJNR

PieterJNR Thread Starter

she cant jump out closed to

7. Wes

Wes

cuc=clean up crew.

Crabs
    Cleaner Shrimp / Any Shrimp
    Hermits
    Snails
    Slugs
    etc.
    :thumbup:

8. crispin

crispin

well there are a couple of things to think about with Anthias.

Firstly they have a very short digestive tract and thus require multiple feedings per day with small amounts. 3-4 times if possible set on an auto feeder is best.

They are also shoaling fish, which means that in general terms you should have between 5-7, or more if you can. That leads the dominant male fish to disperse his aggression across a number of females and thus one smaller weaker fish doesn't get picked on. If you have too few, the weakest and lowest in the hierarchy is most likely to be harassed (either bodily which you will see with chasing, or subtly by being kept away from the main group with difficulty to get to food and is difficult to witness unless you are at the tank often throughout the day).

if you dont feed often enough and have too small a group, the weakest (almost always a female and not necessarily related to size) is unlikely to get enough food and will weaken over time and eventually starve. That is a distinct possibility here.

the other thing to think about is that with anthias being reef fish they tend to sleep in the reef at night and normally in the same place. While fish are sleeping wedged into narrow rock spaces they can fall prey to predatory crabs, shrimps etc and will be killed and consumed surprisingly fast.

a decent clean up crew will dispose of a corpse very quickly.

if the fish died and hasn't been taken by a crab or cuc, they you may well find the body sucked up against the bottom of a internal circulation pump.

hope that helps a little.

9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Anthias also seem to be a bit stupid when it comes to predatory corals and anemones. I know someone who lost plenty anthias to an elephant ear (Amplexidiscus). Carpet anemones also eat fish quite commonly.

Recent Posts