dirty hands?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 4 Aug 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey Masa

Ive been thinking about this alot. obviously we all have different jobs: working with oil,chemicals,soaps etc etc. even if you wash the dishes and fiddle with your tank afterwards. Does your hands retain some sort of the above mentioned "toxins" or does it all get washed away when you wash your hands. even smoking a cigarette before a water change. doesnt stuff cling,stay on your hands(even after a GOOD wash ) and land up in the water when you fiddle with your tank. what do you guys think of this? couldnt this be why some setups crash?

DOES THIS ALL MAKE SENSE.:p sorry if its confusing but im confused. :blush::whistling::blush::whistling: maybe its the :peroni::peroni: talking :lol::lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude i have had a few beers so i reckon we on the same page..

even the soap from washing your hands is considered a toxin.. hence why i wash my hands in plain tapwater (if they are not too dirty) but i must be honest i find my hands in the tank before i have even blinked and i often dont wash them mor after than before :)..

i reckon if you a mechanic with oil stained hands vs an accountant it would differ to an extent..

it is often the little things like this omitted from the conversation with the LFS consultant when trying to determine what went wrong with the tank that are the most important pieces of information....

Last edited: 4 Aug 2011
  4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I always wash my hands twice when I put them in my tank, once with soap and water the rinse proper under RO water. I am neurotic.:blush:
    Other than that I try to put my hands in my tank as little as possible!

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

I agree, it just crossed my mind today. I bought a new edge trimmer today(and couldnt help stopping at a lfs to buy something for my tank):lol::lol: . So while Im assembling this thing I couldnt help but thinking that there might be a little bit of oil or something stuck to my hands after assembiling and at the same time Im acclimatising my two new pajama cardinals. So i washed my hands before even getting close to my tank but thought that some soap or even a bit of oil could be stuck to my hands. I ended up making myself so paranoid that I did everything with surgical gloves.

surely your hands must retain something,if its soap,oil or something.:eek:

6. pXius

pXius

I definitely believe soap and toxins stay behind. Almost any soap advertisement highlights how their soap protects against germs and bacteria after a wash. That "layer" of protection could probably do some damage to the bacteria in your tank.

If your're paranoid after working with some other chemicals of sorts I'd say wash your hands with soup to eliminate the chemicals etc and then with a vinegar-water mix if you plan on working in the tank for awhile.

If I had a nano I would be allot more paranoid vs. a larger volume tank.

7. leslie hempel

yes you are neurotic.. better get that seen to :)

8. leslie hempel

and even the latex could be lethal? but i get what you saying.. i reckon it comes down to common sence.. if its spray and cook vs car oil id say something fit for human consumption can generally be considered safer (in small doses) than any chemical etc aimed at cleaning or a lubricant for a vehicle..

9. leslie hempel

are you cooking?:tt2:

10. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

what soup we eating?:lol: saefood should be reefsafe:lol::lol::lol:

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

I just make sure I wash my hands after playing with the tank :)

Recent Posts