[wtd] Digital water parameters test kits wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Floyd, 24 Feb 2013.

1. Floyd

Floyd

I would like to buy Digital water parameter test kits.

I know about Hanna test kits, let me know if there are any similar test kits that I can consider.

How accurate are these test kits compared to conventional test kits?
    ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

You should rather ask, how accurate are regular hobby grade kits when compared to digital ones... Sone fare well, such as alkalinity and some of the better brands of calcium kits, which are generally titration based. The problem with hobby grade kits really come to the fore with parameters where colour charts are used, such as pH, NO3 and PO4.
    There is a plethora of digital options for pH. If you want quality, look at brands like Martini Instruments / Milwaukee / Hanna or Hach.
    A good investment.

For no3, there really are not any digital ones out there which are affordable, due to interference by chloride, which is sky high in seawater. Fortunately, probiotics and carbon media and or carbon substrate allow us to maintain levels which are undetectable on hobby grade kits... So buying a digital NO3 kit is really a novelty... I dont think most hobbyists care if no3 is 0.01 or 0.10, its good enough to be in that vicinity.
    With PO4, the reality is that discerning between blue, blue and blue is really difficult, but really important. The popularity of hanna checkers can mostly be attributed to this caveat of test kits.
    The most popular is hanna, but another brand worth considering is Milwaukee, who also makes small hand held checkers, as accurate, but a few hundred rand cheaper.

There are some calcium monitors available, for example the ones made by American Marine, but reviews of it have been mostly negative from what I can found on the web.

Jenaid likes this.
  4. Floyd

Floyd Thread Starter

Thanks.

Will still do some more research.

I really think that it can be a very good investment in future, taking into account the prices we pay for tests kits.

Recent Posts