Digital Marine Salt Testa by Trans Instruments

Reaction score
Hi All,

Interested to find out if anybody is currently using the digital Marine Salt Testa by Trans Instruments to measure their salinity and if this product is reliable and any good? Seems to be easier and quicker to calibrate than a refractor.

Heres the link: Trans Instruments

Their stated accuracy looks a bit dodgy, if I understand it correctly, when you take a reading and take into account their accuracy then if you get a reading of 1.024 the true reading could be anywhere between 1.022 and 1.026, that's a HUGE gap, you may as well use a R5.00 floating hydrometer.

How much do they cost.

I have one and it is actually very accurate........I am very happy with it........;)

Saw it in Hong Kong while on holidays. It cost just over a grand. Ruan, how long have you had the device and did you purchase it online? I see it comes with a 30ppt standard solution required for calibration - any ideas for how long this solution can be used as I have a feeling it will need to be replaced eventually.

I actually work for a exotic pet shop and I brought it through them it cost me R950 and it is a awesome product the calibration fluid can be kept for up to a year........

Only down side is that you cannot buy the calibration fluid separately........

I actually work for a exotic pet shop and I brought it through them it cost me R950 and it is a awesome product the calibration fluid can be kept for up to a year........

Only down side is that you cannot buy the calibration fluid separately........

So every year you have to spend a grand again on a new unit just because you cannot buy the calibration fluid separately? This is stupid.
I'll rather stick with my refractometer :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom