Diffs between your Home R.O. system and a marine R.O. system???

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by emteey, 3 Aug 2009.

1. emteey

emteey

Hi there,

Could someone explain the difference between your Home R.O. system and a marine R.O. system. Could you use your home system? How would you attach/use a marine R.O. system to yur setup??? :wtf:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

can one of the mods please find the thread explaining the differance between the 2 and post it here.

to anwser your question.....definatly not reccommended.......there would need to be a few modifications that cost a bit....so rather buy a marine r.o. for you tank

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

I was just about to ask the same thing. I have a home RO unit and have been using it on my tanks for 6 months now. What is wrong with it. The TDS reads zero. It doesn't have that thing to add minerals to it at the end. Should I buy a marine one now...

5. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i wish the mods can find that thead cause it is damn long to type.

firstly, if your drinking water r.o.unit is reading 0.....then there must be something wrong with your meter.

a drinking water r.o. unit does not have a membrane powerfull enough to give you that reading, aswell as there is a polishing taste and odour filter which increases t.d.s aswell as it has a 9 litre storage tank with a rubber bladder that leaches po4 and raises t.d.s.......those are just a few reasons....will see if i can find the thread

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Basically - the marine RO unit has extra filtration stages, and higher quality RO membranes. Also - added to that - a DI container (de-ionization)....

The one's you get from ie. H2O, is lacks these things, that is required to purify the water 100% as is required for a marine tank.

7. Manic

Manic Moderator

That makes sense. Maybe I should get a marine one then, could explain my constant battle with diatoms. I'm sure my TDS meter is fine as I have tested a LFS water for them and they have a TDS of 2, that is with a week old marine RO unit...

8. jacquesb

Marco - I will try and find it - cannot promise though ;)
    Did you start the thread?

9. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

You beat me to it...

12. jacquesb

Hope Marco do not mind me copying/pasting this info: I think it is AWESOME INFORMATION to have in this thread as well:

interesting thread......its funny how many times this can be explained it pops up again and again.
    let me see if i can break it down.
    okay a drinking water r.o.unit normally consists of the following:
    it is a 5 stage filtration / purification system......i say "filtration / purification" beacause filtration is termed as removing sediment and absorbing chemicals and purification is termed as removing everything including all minerals.

pre-filtration:
    stage 1: 5 or 10 micron sediment filtration
    stage 2: granular activated carbon
    stage 3: 1 micron sediment or 10 micron carbon block or kdf/gac cartridge

explanation:
    stage 1 is used to mechanically remove suspended solids
    stage 2 is used to effectivly remove chlorine, chemicals, organics etc
    stage 3 depending on which filter is used.......(1 micron- to remove ultra fine suspended particles aswell as carbon fines from previous stages thus delivering super clear water to the membrane protecting it)
    (10" carbon block- succesfully removing all chlorine while traping suspended solids thus protecting membrane from sediment aswell as definatly ensuring chlorine etc does not reach the membrane) and finaly (kdf/gac- a blend of 300g kdf which is infact copper and zinc melted together to produce a patented formula -"kdf" stands for kinetic degradation fluxion and stands for a substance that will remove heavy metals aswell as stop the growth of bacteria" this blended with gac ensures a super strong protection for the membrane as bacteria growth too destroys membranes "hence our patented flush system on the waterboy reverse osmosis systems which have now been cheaply copied by brands trying to catch up:)

purification stage:
    the membrane......

on a drinking water system , cheaper membranes are used that do work but unfortunatly last only about 1 year to 18 months before being absolutly shot.
    the membrane removes most minerals and sends the purified water to a storage container while the waste line exports the minerals

the storage tank:

usually 9 litres in size, it looks like a gas bottle but infact it is a steel housing lined with a rubber bladder / balloon inside.......this bladder leaches stuff back into the water while in storage aswell as effects the taste of the water.
    when the tap is opened on the sink the water gets delivered from the tank to the final stage .....the polishing filter (glorified compressed carbon filter) which only improves the taste of the water before comming out the tap........however the t.d.s is usually up to around 5 to 10 ppm which are usually phosphate bassed.

advanced systems now have mineral injection cartridges which now buffer ph while sending calcium and magnesium back to the water aswell.

marine reverse osmosis systems
    generally 3, 4 and 5 stage systems

stage 1
    5 micron sediment filter......does as explained above

stage 2
    silver sintered carbon block cartridge........our little secret
    silver sintered carbon absorbs chlorine and organics, while trapping sediment AND STOPPING BACTERIA GROWTH reaching the membrane.

stage 3 - purification
    filmtech 50gpd membrane - worlds best membrane....known to last 3 years ......and in alan's case with super protection that includes every pre-filtration stage under the sun.....his filmtech membrane lasted a good 5 -6 years.
    these membranes can deliver water with a t.d.s from 0 to 10 into your system with minimal if no po4

no storage tank

advanced units such as the waterboy reefmaster plus
    the have stage 4
    a mixed bed de-ionising resin stage which should not be used for drinking as amines can grow in the resin
    this mixed bed resin consisting of a special formula balanced with anion and cation resin takes the r.o.water delivered from the filmtech membrane and drops the t.d.s all the way down
    to 0 - 1......ensuring the purest water possible for marine aquariums

these units also incude our patent flush mechanism which helps flush deposits on the mebrane out to the waste via high pressure

super advanced waterboy systems have a 5 stage setup
    stage 5
    tunze calcium carbonate filled chamber that slowly dissolves unde the low ph ro/di water after the resin chamber.
    the ph is thus buffered while calcium is absorbed and delivered to the tank at the same time .....the t.d.s generally rises to about 10 to 18 ppm but that is now 10- 18 ppm of calcium.............just what your corals were looking for

hope this helps........any further questions.....feel free to pm me under the waterboy or marco

and remember if you looking for a r.o.....by the original waterboy unit from accredited dealers.....not imitations that have popped up at cetain stores in the cape and jhb
    if you looking for an agent in your area....contact us

we have heard of numerous reports of water companies buying our units and trying to rip them off........they may look the same......but you will soon learn....they certainly not

may your t.d.s always be 0

cool

13. Manic

Manic Moderator

So now the question is how bad is it to use a home RO unit if your TDS is still low. Will is cause a lot of death and destruction...

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Nope, but **** loads of algae and horrible coral colours :p

15. Manic

Manic Moderator

So far so good for me though. My sps have kept their colours and I don't have any algae problems in my tank except diatoms. What Marine RO unit should I go for?

16. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

17. Manic

Manic Moderator

Where can I get this in Joburg...

18. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

there are agents like v.i.p pets, idol marine, pet stop, etc etc but they do not have the special,

we can courier it to you overnite, but you need to pm us via "the waterboy"

thanks

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

How much is it going to cost to courier it?

20. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

R150.00

considering the freebees you get this month on the special.....thats quite a deal;)

21. Manic

Manic Moderator

True, who can I contact to organise this.

Recent Posts