Differences in LR?

Furbz

Foxface
Reaction score
hi guys, i've bin offered to buy some fiji/malay LR and want to know the differences between kenyan and the fiji/malay?
it is far more expensive, so what are the bonuses to it?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Kenyan is denser rock, the fiji rock is lighter, more porous so is able to host more beneficial bacteria, so it does a better job with less rock.

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
pure figi is blue in the inside if you brake it.
as weeman said it is very lighter, and normaly overgrown in coraline and macro algae

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
This is a GREAT "newbie" thread. Can people please post pictures with their descriptions of the live rock types? That everyone now, and in the future can know the differences? Many thanks.

shan

Chromis
Reaction score
a good thing to do with LR is lift it out of water and see how much water drains off it - you should notice with similar size (not weight) pieces on Kenyan and Fiji, that the fiji will hold more water and when all drains off, the weight of the fiji should be lighter although the size is similar to the kenya.

BUT i do have a piece of kenyan which is more porous then my Fiji.

highfive

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I heard that tongo/fuji rock sometimes includes snails which could eat the mantles of clams.... not sure how true that is...

shan

Chromis
Reaction score
any LR has hitch hikers - you get crabs, nudis, mantis, majano, ... the list goes on

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
the more expensive LR has better hitch hikers like Zoos, hardcorals, feather worms, zenia etc....

highfive

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I picked up some red sea live rock???? anyone got any stories about this one?.... looks very much like Kenyan...

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
well other than the fact that the Egpytian police as well as the UN wildlife fund will be on your case soon.... not much... its highly illegal to export and corals,fish or LR from the red sea

459b

Reaction score
red sea live rock that looks like kenyan? perhaps the shop thought the name change would get more people buying it.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
red sea live rock that looks like kenyan? perhaps the shop thought the name change would get more people buying it.
Sounds the most plausible explanation, the Egyptians are red hot on this sort of thing.

Gawiedj

Shrimp
Reaction score
No all hitchikers are bad; on my rock i have this:

2550721521_2b94f678d3.jpg

Not the best pic.

Edit: resized pic

gaz19

Wrasse
Reaction score
pure figi is blue in the inside if you brake it.
as weeman said it is very lighter, and normaly overgrown in coraline and macro algae
fiji rock is not blue 0n the inside. blue ridge rock is.well thats what i have seen/believe.