Difference in calcium supplements

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by jimboPE, 1 Jan 2010.

1. jimboPE

jimboPE

Hey guys I some help would be appreciated.
    I just bought some insta-cal by aquapharm.I thought it was actually the one I bought last time (kalkwasser). This product u only have to dissolve in water and add it straight to your tank.They say u can actually add it straight to your sump.
    The question is what is the difference between this and the normal kalkwasser which you have to let stand for a while and then decant the top of.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Due to Kalk's high pH you don't want to be dumping large amounts into the water column as you can harm your LS, and the precipitate can "burn" certain inverts.

The calcium supplements don't have any significant effect to pH there by you can just add when required.

The most significant difference between these two products is price. Kalk is dirt cheap, all the Calcium supplements are loads more expensive.

You probably find the supplement you are using is Calcium Carbonate rather than Calcium Hydroxide (Kalkwasser)

4. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

Thanks warr.No I would never dump kalkwasser just straight in.But this new one i got on the instructions it says u can.Its also a powder like the kalk i was using but when u mix it in water it is transparent unlike the milky coulour of kalk.Its quite cheap almost the same price as kalk.What is the difference btw calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide?
    Here is the product.
    http://www.aquapharm.co.za/catalogue/insta-cal-marine-calcium-supplement/

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sounds like it is Calcium Carbonate as it says you have to watch your alkalinity.

Both products introduce Calcuim to your system, but have different effects to your ph and DkH

I run kalk to combat the low pH effects of running a CaRx.

You sure it as cheap as Kalk ? I buy 500g for R 40.00

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I don't know this product, but I would guess that it's rather calcium chloride, which is highly "dissolveable". Calcium carbonate does not readily dissolve in sea water, and would not add much in terms of calcium (you would need a calcium reactor to make use of it...)

Calcium chloride is a good additive to use as a calcium booster as a "once-off", but it is an "unbalanced" additive, and will cause the tank's ionic balance to go out of wack if used regularly on it's own. Most of the "balanced" two or three part supplements make use of calcium chloride as the calcium additive, but this is then balanced with the second and third parts of the supplement, which add alkalinity (sodium carbonate/bicarbonate) and magnesium chloride & magnesium sulphate. as the main ingredients.

For now, I would recommend that you use this product, but "balance" it roughly by also adding some dissolved baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), IF this is in fact calcium chloride - obviously you need to determine this first...

Hennie

7. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys.

Recent Posts