Did you know?

Reaction score
I was wondering where the information on the "Did you know..." tips come from. I have seen a couple that I disagree with.

you talking about the thing on the forums page? eg. The Great Barrier Reef

Talking about the tips etc that come up on the home page when you log in. For example there was one this morning describing tunicates and sea squirts that I disagreed with.

Kevin,

They are taken from the newsletters. If you go back on the newsletters, you will find the source of it. It's not all from the same place.

And you are welcome to disagree with them :)

Hi Kevin, I have taken most of them from the newsletters and a couple just randomly from the internet from places like about.com

If any are incorrect please enlighten us, thanks.

if they are incorrect and you have the correct answer , please give it to us , always looking to learn

Thanks guys. As I said above I will take more note of the tip next time and post what I think is correct. The one that caught my attention this morning referred to tunicates and said something about sea squirts merely being colonial tunicates. A the definitive characteristic of a tunicate is that the larval stage has a notochord (a primitive/forerunner of the spine). All sessile seasquirts are tunicates as are a number of other free swimming animals (salps for example).

Little off topic; but is it true that the most primitive/earliest dna is the tunicate. That we homo sapiens are therefore descendants of the sponge. (with a stretch of imagination):)

Little off topic; but is it true that the most primitive/earliest dna is the tunicate. That we homo sapiens are therefore descendants of the sponge. (with a stretch of imagination):)

Some folk i know are closer to the sponges than others though;)

Not sponges but certainly red/rock bait....

Thanks guys. As I said above I will take more note of the tip next time and post what I think is correct. The one that caught my attention this morning referred to tunicates and said something about sea squirts merely being colonial tunicates. A the definitive characteristic of a tunicate is that the larval stage has a notochord (a primitive/forerunner of the spine). All sessile seasquirts are tunicates as are a number of other free swimming animals (salps for example).

GEEK ALERT... lol j/k I love it. Thanks for the info... something I didn't know. :thumbup:

sihaya
now that this thread is off topic is there somewhere we can learn more about you? not in a freaky stalker kind of way but imformative? you seem extreemly clued up on most topics marine

kind regards

calvin

Hahaha... well, I don't mind "creeper stalkers" so long as they're fans. ;) J/k I'll unlock the "Welcome Sara" thread in my forum so you can ask questions if you like... just please keep it friendly (not aimed at you Calvin, just the public in general). I'd like to think I've been interrogated enough for the time being... lol

sihaya
now that this thread is off topic is there somewhere we can learn more about you? not in a freaky stalker kind of way but imformative? you seem extreemly clued up on most topics marine

kind regards

calvin

Run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Sara get out while you can, is there a policeman in the audience, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp:lol: :lol:

LMAO... oh no, looks like someone has been reading another forum!

Back
Top Bottom